Forums > Jitter

Jitter community project: just in time for Christmas!

December 19, 2006 | 8:33 am

Dear Jitter users,

For your use and enjoyment I’ve just posted a folder on the website below that has a public version of ArtsSync, a large MaxMspJitter patch that attempts to make "a relatively easy-to-use program for real-time multimedia projects employing a high degree of synchronicity between audio and visual components". For non-jitter users there are Mac and PC standalones.

For those of you with good Jitter chops this is an invitation to contribute to ArtsSync as an on-going community project. In the main folder you can find templates with instructions to add video generation and effects modules on the two patches labeled: gen_module.mxb and fx_module.mxb. All are offered under the GNU license agreements.

Have fun and let me know if you have any ideas for modules.

Christopher

http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~lamer/download.htm/ArtsSync1.08Patches.zip


December 19, 2006 | 6:24 pm

FYI,
The link you supplied doesn’t work.

I think it should be:

http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~lamer/download/ArtsSync1.08Mac-Patches.zip

Cheers,
Andrew B.



P2B
July 25, 2008 | 7:35 pm

I’ve searched everywhere I can think of. This seems like the only place i can find anyone who is using ArtsSync. I just found it and downloaded it last night. I used to make a very simple 1st experiment. It is awesome fun! The video output, and I was stoked to get cracking with it this morning. I seem to have no audio outputs 1&2. ‘off’ is the only choice in the dropdown. I also see no video (preview or floating) although strangely I can hear the video audio (who’s volume I can control only sometimes). I am totally new to ArtsSync and have had varying results using other Max/msp apps. I’m using it with runtime. In the past I’ve been able to dig around and find a way to assign the audio outs in ‘audio set up’ or something like that. When I open ‘audio input/output window’ I have no options available no in or out signal showing. Midi is working.

Status window shows a bunch of error lines:
error: ji.gl.shader: unable to find CG framework
and 3 lines of:
error: jit.dx.grab: no such object

I don’t know coding or Max/msp/jitter
Please any ideas? I really want to get this working again. I didn’t change anything between it working and not working but now I’ve tried a bunch of things and fear that I’m in the woods.

I downloading it again. I tried downloading new versions of Runtime. 5 didn’t work, got rid of that. I see that ArtsSync in the ‘about Runtine’ window says it’s using Runtime 4.6.3 but I can’t find any 4.6.3 on my computer.

I have 4.5 installed. Whenever I try to install 4.6.3 I get to the last step of installing and it says "there is nothing to install"?

Any help would really be appreciated. I feel like it’s something simple since it worked pretty well last night.

Thanks,
Genji

G5 Dual 2 GHz PPC osx 10.4.11 4 GB ram
ArtsSync 1.1



P2B
July 25, 2008 | 7:35 pm


July 25, 2008 | 9:30 pm

>
> Status window shows a bunch of error lines:
> error: ji.gl.shader: unable to find CG framework

i guess that means its searching for some hardware support which your
graphic card cant handle, whats your computer spec?

> and 3 lines of:
> error: jit.dx.grab: no such object

thats the windows video source grabber, it needs to be changed to
jit.qt.grab



P2B
July 25, 2008 | 11:18 pm

Thanks for the reply.
The strange thing is it was just working last night and I didn’t change anything. Also, no audio outputs or inputs. No options to assign ins & outs, no metering.

> i guess that means its searching for some hardware support which your
> graphic card cant handle, whats your computer spec?

Here’s the graphics spec:

ATI Radeon 9600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV351
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0×1002)
Device ID: 0×4150
Revision ID: 0×0000
ROM Revision: 113-A58504-113
Displays:
SDM-HS95P:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
Display:
Status: No display connected

> thats the windows video source grabber, it needs to be changed to
> jit.qt.grab

I wouldn’t know where to begin to make that change.
Could you give me a little walk through…or is it a "if you have to ask don’t bother" kind of thing?

Is it possible it just defaults to look for windows and mac? Like I said it was working.

Thanks for your help on this.

Genji

G5 Dual 2 GHz PPC osx 10.4.11 4 GB ram
ArtsSync 1.1
—————————————————-


July 26, 2008 | 10:19 am

hi, i cant offer u support for this home grown vj app.
if your looking for a solid vj app i suggest resolume.
if your looking to learn jitter you might start elsewhere.

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:18 AM, Genji wrote:

>
> Thanks for the reply.
> The strange thing is it was just working last night and I didn’t change
> anything. Also, no audio outputs or inputs. No options to assign ins & outs,
> no metering.
>
> > i guess that means its searching for some hardware support which your
> > graphic card cant handle, whats your computer spec?
>
> Here’s the graphics spec:
>
> ATI Radeon 9600:
>
> Chipset Model: ATY,RV351
> Type: Display
> Bus: AGP
> Slot: SLOT-1
> VRAM (Total): 128 MB
> Vendor: ATI (0×1002)
> Device ID: 0×4150
> Revision ID: 0×0000
> ROM Revision: 113-A58504-113
> Displays:
> SDM-HS95P:
> Resolution: 1280 x 1024
> Depth: 32-bit Color
> Core Image: Supported
> Main Display: Yes
> Mirror: Off
> Online: Yes
> Quartz Extreme: Supported
> Rotation: Supported
> Display:
> Status: No display connected
>
>
>
> > thats the windows video source grabber, it needs to be changed to
> > jit.qt.grab
>
> I wouldn’t know where to begin to make that change.
> Could you give me a little walk through…or is it a "if you have to ask
> don’t bother" kind of thing?
>
> Is it possible it just defaults to look for windows and mac? Like I said it
> was working.
>
> Thanks for your help on this.
>
> Genji
>
> G5 Dual 2 GHz PPC osx 10.4.11 4 GB ram
> ArtsSync 1.1
> —————————————————-
>
>
>


July 26, 2008 | 12:02 pm

> > i guess that means its searching for some hardware support which your
> > graphic card cant handle… thats the windows video source grabber, it needs to be changed to jit.qt.grab

ArtsSync is built to run on Windows OR Mac so it has both jit.qt.grab AND jit.dx.grab (switchable, but Mac users get the harmless error messages). From the site you can download it only as a complete application which of course includes MaxMSP Runtime. Although I can’t reproduce the problem on my Mac Pro running OS 10.4.11, it sounds to me as if you have competing versions of MaxMSP. I would try ditching 4.5 entirely as it was built using 4.6.3.

Alternatively, I’ve attached a patcher version that would require MaxMSP runtime to work. Double-click on the top file in the folder and place your ‘artsync_media’ folder in the MsxMSP folder to have your files appear in the pull-down menus.

I hope this helps.

C. Keyes



P2B
July 27, 2008 | 11:52 pm

Thanks you so much! I’ve got it all working again. I had to go and dump everything related to Max/msp runtime. There must have been some conflict. Although, I still couldn’t install 4.6.3? It says at the last step "there is nothing to install" I figure now that must mean it is already installed but, I can’t find any files related to it anywhere on my computer? Anyway just glad it’s all working again. Thanks for your help I’ve been having great fun using it the past day. Here are some links to the quick experiments I did to some of my tracks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXwvi2THtu0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZaAVdJO7zo
(On the 2nd one the audio got way over compressed on the upload for some reason. I’ll try to get a better version up soon)

I’ll post this on the forum so, if anyone else has this issue they can hopefully get something from my experience.
Thanks again for a great fun APP!

One other question if you have the time. I’m noticing the output on some of these got a little jittery (no pun intended) especially when starting to record output. Is there any way to minimizing this, preferably without losing resolution?

Genji


September 4, 2008 | 12:21 am

Hi Christopher,

what a marvelous patch!

Thank you for making it available.

I would like to understand ArtsSync better but I cannot open it in MaxMSP 5 + Jitter 1.7.

I have MaxMSP 4.6.3 and can download a compatible (older) version of Jitter. Can you tell me which version of Jitter you recommend?

Thanks,
Lee

BTW, I read about ArtsSync in the August 2008 issue of Electronic Musician in a roundup of affordable software.


Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)