Forums > Jitter

Jitter gets tired

pm
February 23, 2009 | 1:51 am

I’ve just finished a complex video gig, with many jit.qt.movie and videoplanes, optimized as Vade proposed it with uyvy. I’ve tested my setup many times before the event and didn’t had any bug.
During the show (my Max patch had run for a whole day intensively with no reboot) and then Jitter stopped working properly. I had many rehearsals during the day and did’nt had any problem. But during the show, movies didn’t load as they were supposed to : blue screens, digital glitches, frames freezing and skipping. A pure nightmare.

Anybody has heard about this?

Does Jitter (or jit.qt.movie or jit.gl.videoplan) has a kind of "buffer" that gets full when used intensively? Is there a way to clear it without restarting Max?

Thanks a lot!

February 23, 2009 | 2:49 am

Im not sure that jitter has such problems, but laptops sure do, I know when I leave my laptop on and running complex things for a few days it starts to get kindof funky. Its possible that your memory and harddrive got tired more then jitter. I always restart before an important show, as Ive had similar problems but with different software.

pm
February 23, 2009 | 3:11 am

I noticed that only the more used jit.qt.movie-jit.gl.videoplane were bugging. During the gig, a movie that was load in a "movie player" was rendered as a blue screen. I reloaded it in the same "movie player" and got the same result. When I loaded it in another "movie player", one that didn’t got used a lot before, the movie loaded normally.
And it wasn’t running on a laptop, but on a 8-core MacPro with 8 gigs of RAM. I don’t think it’s the harddrive, but you may be right…
Any other idea of where this could come from?

Thanks.

February 23, 2009 | 9:24 am

The only time this happened to me was after a long time not rebooing the machine.

When did you last reboot before oddities happened?

pa

February 23, 2009 | 10:54 am

yeah thats what I was saying more then the laptop aspect, I had just assumed it was a laptop since you took it to a gig, but now im curious how you took a desktop to a gig without rebooting??

February 23, 2009 | 2:02 pm

What kind of machine/system are you using?

If you’re on XP, you could be running into a "page file" issue, i.e., Windows swapping memory between RAM and a special disk file.

Also, your computer could be overheating, causing the CPU or GPU to slowdown.

FWIW, in XP I sometimes have FPS anomalies that I can’t get rid of for days, then just go away. Meaning, I’ll work for days with no problems, then during sessions my FPS will temporarily drop 10%-20% for no reason I can figure out, then go back to normal. I’ll shtudown, leave the computer alone, reboot, and the same thing happens.

Also, don’t rule out QT as the culprit. I was having some noticeable time-hits loading movies into Jitter in XP. I downgraded Quicktime to 6.x and the problems went away.

February 23, 2009 | 3:57 pm

Hello fakegolfer,

Just a advice.

I always restart my computer after rehearsal and before the show, it is rule #1.

When you are working and testing your patch, then sometimes after your tests some process are not finished in the computer. So the best way to initialize things is to reboot.

pm
February 23, 2009 | 5:35 pm

I had restarted my machine in the morning. (a MacPro 8-core)

Thanks for the advice Kyred. I know I should have rebooted my machine between the reheasal and the show.

But my question was more : is there a way to clear Jitter’s background processings without rebooting?

Thanks!

February 23, 2009 | 7:32 pm

I don’t think it has anything to do with Jitter. All my programs seem to get ‘tired’ it might be quicktime, the system, or any other ghost.

Reboot is great.

pa

February 24, 2009 | 8:34 am

Exactly!

pm
February 24, 2009 | 1:08 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Next time, I won’t be afraid of rebooting…

dtr
February 27, 2009 | 2:26 pm
fakegolfer wrote on Mon, 23 February 2009 02:51
Anybody has heard about this?

bad karma? Very Happy

(ok sorry that doesnt help, but sometimes it s just pure bad luck, isnt it? computers you know… i’m with the rebooting gang, btw)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)