Jitter + JS/Java > Processing?

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:06pm

Jitter + JS/Java > Processing?

Hey- I don’t want to start a flame war, but I haven’t gotten a complete answer from anyone I talk to- people usually only know one or the other. I’m working on a new project that combines live input and some generated graphics. Max is a great way to quickly develop most of the functionality, but the generative functions are going to be better built in a traditional environment like js/java. I’ve dabbled in Processing, and it’s amazing, especially in terms of community / resources, etc. I’ve seen some incredible work made with it, too.

Obviously, depending on the application, each have their benefits; my question is this: solely in terms of performance, which is faster? I’m guessing, with some tweaking, processing could outpace jitter, but if jitter objects are multi-threaded, as I’ve read, wouldn’t that be a huge perk? How far can you go with js/mxj?

Does anyone have experience working have both?

Thanks,

: j

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:57pm

mxj is a great way of recreating the processing experinece in Jitter, you can dynamically create, manage and destroy jitter objects. Get stuck in.

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:47am

Hey- thanks for the tip! any idea about performance differences?

Thanks!

: j

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:32pm

multi-threading is very easy to do in processing, and therefore easier to control. i don’t have any hard data, but my guess is that optimized processing code in very specific instances could be faster than jitter, especially with the 2.0 update coming soon. of course, the opposite holds as well.

that being said, java (and by extension processing) is terrible for audio, so msp clearly wins out there.

and of course, if i had to guess i’d say the fastest creative-coding framework is openFrameworks, simply because it’s built on c++. if you really want performance, go with that.

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:18am

I’m not sure about performance difference.

But I would say that js is not really reliable when performance matters.
I’ve had so many problems with that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.