Forums > Jitter

Jitter Networking?

March 23, 2007 | 4:11 pm

Hello everyone,

I’m new to Max/Msp and Jitter, and to the forum so I’ll just briefly introduce myself. I’m an architect experimenting heavily with interactive spaces, and the use of embedded technologies within materials. I’ve recently picked up a project that includes combining dance and theater with real-time VR.

Heres my question…

I have nice Jitter patch that gives fairly accurate color tracking. It gives me the X and y values, which is great, but I’ll need to send those values in real time over to another system, which will use them as points from which to draw from. Is it possible, to send these values as packets to another system in real-time? If so, please advise, I’m entirely new at something like this!

Also, as far as the patch is concerned…. it tracks color quite nicely when there is one object of that color, but when there is two, it finds the center point between them. Is there a way to track each object of the same color as separate entities, providing separate results?

sorry for the long post, I hope I wasn’t too vague.

I can include the patch later today… the file is not with me at the moment.

thanks!

March 23, 2007 | 4:16 pm

By the way, I’m running an Intel Mac with the newest versions of Max/Msp and Jitter…

March 24, 2007 | 11:00 pm

no insight??
anything at all??

March 25, 2007 | 12:00 am

Nick Bruscia skrev:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I’m new to Max/Msp and Jitter, and to the forum so I’ll just briefly introduce myself. I’m an architect experimenting heavily with interactive spaces, and the use of embedded technologies within materials. I’ve recently picked up a project that includes combining dance and theater with real-time VR.
>
> Heres my question…
>
> I have nice Jitter patch that gives fairly accurate color tracking. It gives me the X and y values, which is great, but I’ll need to send those values in real time over to another system, which will use them as points from which to draw from. Is it possible, to send these values as packets to another system in real-time? If so, please advise, I’m entirely new at something like this!
>
I use the two objects udpsend and udpreceive for this. You can have a
look for them in http://www.maxobjects.com – and generally do a search there
too, there’s a lot of good info.
> Also, as far as the patch is concerned…. it tracks color quite nicely when there is one object of that color, but when there is two, it finds the center point between them. Is there a way to track each object of the same color as separate entities, providing separate results?
>
Yes. I’ve tried this with the cv.jit library, and it too works very
well. Again, maxobjects.com :)
I hope this helps, at least a bit.
Andreas.

March 25, 2007 | 1:14 am

thanks so much for the reply .. i’m on a rather strict deadline and this is a step in the right direction.

cheers

March 26, 2007 | 12:07 am

No need to use externals for networking in Max 4.6. It’s all built in… the easiest to use is "mxj net.maxhole" . From the help patch you have links to other types of networking objects(udp, tcp etc.). also of note are the jitter networking objects for sending jitter matrices and other messages: take a look at jit.net.send .
-Nadav

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)