Jitter theory

May 10, 2007 at 12:00pm

Jitter theory

Hello,

I’ve been using Max/MSP for about 2 & a half years, and feel I am at a reasonable level of competency with the nature and language of max, but I have been trying (on and off) for about a year to come to grips with Jitter. Having no previous experience of either programming or graphics/video theory, I am finding that there is a large proportion of the objects and concept of matrices etc that are difficult to conceptualise. I have read all the documentation for Jitter (although i have to confess I may have scan read the sections on Java!) and can happily use many of the objects from those tutorials, but I find a gap in my theorectical knowledge. I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions of books, websites that might be useful reading to get more out of Jitter by gaining a better understanding of the theory (having seen the Jitter cookbooks, and not really being able to understand how they work, I am very keen to try some more adventurous Jitter programming!). If anyone has any suggestions, I very much appreciate it. I realise that I have very little knowledge, but I wish to improve this situation.

Thank you very much in advance,

Ed

May 10, 2007 at 6:37pm

May 10, 2007 at 9:52pm

Have you looked at anything in the section “Jitter Bibliography: For
Your Reading Pleasure” from the tutorials? There’s plenty of good
reading there.

Keith

On 5/10/07, ed dowie wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I’ve been using Max/MSP for about 2 & a half years, and feel I am at a reasonable level of competency with the nature and language of max, but I have been trying (on and off) for about a year to come to grips with Jitter. Having no previous experience of either programming or graphics/video theory, I am finding that there is a large proportion of the objects and concept of matrices etc that are difficult to conceptualise. I have read all the documentation for Jitter (although i have to confess I may have scan read the sections on Java!) and can happily use many of the objects from those tutorials, but I find a gap in my theorectical knowledge. I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions of books, websites that might be useful reading to get more out of Jitter by gaining a better understanding of the theory (having seen the Jitter cookbooks, and not really being able to understand how they work, I am very keen to try some more adventurous Jitter programming!). If anyo
n!
> e has any suggestions, I very much appreciate it. I realise that I have very little knowledge, but I wish to improve this situation.
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
>
> Ed
>

May 10, 2007 at 10:59pm

On May 10, 2007, at 2:52 PM, keith manlove wrote:

> Have you looked at anything in the section “Jitter Bibliography: For
> Your Reading Pleasure” from the tutorials? There’s plenty of good
> reading there.

Online information also linked to from the Cycling ’74 Resource Guide:

http://www.cycling74.com/twiki/bin/view/ResourceGuide

Info in Math, Video, and OpenGL sections would probably be some good
starting points, but if you have some specific things you want to
learn more about which aren’t covered in these or the Jitter
Bibliography, feel free to ask on the list (but be more specific as
to what you’re having trouble with or want to know more about).

-Joshua

May 11, 2007 at 12:53am

Thanks very much for the help. I’ll be honest and say that I’d forgotten that there was a bibliography in the tutorials. I’ll certainly check those out. They sound like they’ll provide me with some good basic knowledge, so that I don’t have to ask for help at every turn. I really appreciate the support is provided on this forum. It’s very often been a good place to find out info by searching for other topics, or just generally browsing. If you can be patient with the newbies like me, I hope to gain a bit not confidence with Jitter in the next couple of years.

Thanks again,

Ed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.