Forums > Jitter

Jitter's Physics Abilities in Max 6 – Creating Physics Objects with 'Propellers'

November 25, 2011 | 7:37 pm

Hello,

I’d like to know if there is a ready-made object (or something that can be made from scratch) that would allow me to drive objects’ movements in 3D space using physics simulations ONLY (NOT using animation at all). Particularly, by making an object have an ‘engine’ – something with torque that can push or pull it.

The motives behind this is to deal with the conflict between animation-driven objects and collision detection.

Thanks a lot in advance for anyone who tries to help.

November 26, 2011 | 5:24 pm

Perhaps something like the MSD objects made by Nicolas Montgermont?
(spring damper systems)

Or "Boids" a flocking simulator?

November 27, 2011 | 8:12 pm

hi wolf_at_a_door. this is exactly what the physics objects in max 6 do.

there are force and torque attributes to the jit.phys.body objects, allowing you to set a continuous force/torque on your rigid-bodies. also the impulse and torque_impulse messages allow you to apply an instantaneous force.

the conflict between animation driven objects and physics driven objects is not trivial, and there are several different solutions depending on the situation.

take a look and the physics object help files, as well as recent posts on the forum dealing with physics, and you should have enough information to get started.

post back here with a patch and any questions you have, and i’ll be happy to assist further.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)