Jomox resonator style Patch?

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:10am

Jomox resonator style Patch?

I just picked up a Jomox T-Resonator. It’s got a very cool esoteric way of feeding back into itself. Anyways, this got me to wonder if anyone has done anything in Max that resembles the TResonator or the MResonator? I plan on trying to pick apart what the T-Resonator is doing and trying to simulate it with a Max patch (trying is the key word not “doing”). Anyone else have one of these and made a “software” version of it or any other strange but true hardware?

Jun 1, 2008 at 6:58pm

Don K skrev:
> I just picked up a Jomox T-Resonator. It’s got a very cool esoteric way of feeding back into itself. Anyways, this got me to wonder if anyone has done anything in Max that resembles the TResonator or the MResonator? I plan on trying to pick apart what the T-Resonator is doing and trying to simulate it with a Max patch (trying is the key word not “doing”). Anyone else have one of these and made a “software” version of it or any other strange but true hardware?
>
Hi Don,

I think at least part of the modelling would be really difficult, the
analogue feedback behaviour must be quite chaotic. Having said that, you
can’t do a good msp delay line without layers of
saturation, noise injection, cross-modulation and oodles of feedback, etc.

It would be fun to sit down and really see if one can’t build the
ultimate howl-machine in MSP, though.

andreas

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:41am

The pluggo Feedback Network is a pretty great howl machine, I think.

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:32pm

Quote: Wetterberg wrote on Sun, 01 June 2008 11:58
—————————————————-
> I think at least part of the modelling would be really difficult, the
> analogue feedback behaviour must be quite chaotic. Having said that, you
> can’t do a good msp delay line without layers of
> saturation, noise injection, cross-modulation and oodles of feedback, etc.
>
> It would be fun to sit down and really see if one can’t build the
> ultimate howl-machine in MSP, though.
>
> andreas
>

After playing with the T-Resonator this weekend, I’ve determined that I am far lacking in Max skills to even try. :D

I think the feedback, LFO, mixers,all that stuff could be “recreated” in Max, but it all interacts with each other enough where I just see stack overflow in my future. I’m not sure how the high gain feedback would sound recreated digitally. I bet not the same howling, screaming and chirping.
I’m still getting a feel for the t-resonator. I’ll start trying to patch something similar in a few weeks.
The signal path doesn’t seem too complicated, but I think it may be overly simplified.

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:34pm

Quote: Gregory Taylor wrote on Sun, 01 June 2008 17:41
—————————————————-
> The pluggo Feedback Network is a pretty great howl machine, I think.
—————————————————-

I gave that a try this weekend. It’s pretty cool, but not as cool as an analog howl and scream. :)

The T-resonator is sort of like the feedback network with self oscillating resonant filters inside the network. Almost more controllable than the pluggo filter at times. Like balancing feedback on the edge of a note.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.