Forums > Javascript

js & reading sensors on MS surface pro 2 tablet

May 4, 2014 | 12:54 am

Hi all,

I’ve never used js in Max in all these years…not sure why now that I looked over the docs! Quite useful.

Anyhoo…I have an MS surface pro 2 tablet. Lots of built in sensors and one of the ways you can access the data is via java script. I knew it was wishful thinking, but couldn’t get it work in Max. I am assuming it’s because the calls made in the code are outside the standard js library… at least that’s my guess. Here’s my js code:

inlets = 1;
outlets = 4;

// bang -- start data stream

function bang()
{
   var sensor = Windows.Devices.Sensors.OrientationSensor.getDefault();
	if (sensor) {
		// Select a report interval that works for the app and that the sensor supports.
		var minimumReportInterval = sensor.minimumReportInterval;
		var reportInterval = minimumReportInterval > 20 ? minimumReportInterval : 20;

// Set the report interval to enable the sensor for polling
		sensor.reportInterval = reportInterval;

var reading = sensor.getCurrentReading();
		if (reading) {
			var quaternion = reading.quaternion;
			var x = quaternion.x;
			var y = quaternion.y;
			var z = quaternion.z;
			var w = quaternion.w;

// output values
			outlet(0, x);
			outlet(1, y);
			outlet(2, z);
			outlet(3, w);
		}
	}
}

It gives an error: js: orientation-sensor-read-test.js: Javascript ReferenceError: Windows is not defined, line 11

So my question is: is there a way to extend the js library to include whatever is needed to accomplish what I want to above? There are also other potential paths (c++, c#, vb), but my non-max programming stopped at Fortran77 :)

Here’s the link to the reference (first link contains the code I’m using above, second link is MS’ ref page:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsappdev/archive/2012/08/09/liven-up-your-app-with-location-and-sensors.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.devices.sensors.orientationsensor.getcurrentreading.aspx

Thanks in advance for any nudges in the right direction.

Cheers,
David

May 6, 2014 | 8:30 am

Thought I’d try again to see if there were any javascript gurus out there that might have some idea on how to make this work. Even a "won’t work in Max" would be great so I can head down another path with this.

Thanks!!
David

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)