Forums > Dev

JUCE

Lee
November 22, 2013 | 7:13 am

Hi, has anyone got any experience of using JUCE with MAX to make writing cross-platform externals for Windows and Mac easier? Does it reduce effort? Is it worth it etc?

Any insight appreciated, thx

November 22, 2013 | 11:19 am

In short, you can’t use our version of Juce to build your externals. You need to use jgraphics as demonstrated in the SDK’s examples. If you want to build externals with juice component you’ll have to link it and include your Juce version.

November 22, 2013 | 2:56 pm

I was more interested in trying to use JUCE to build my own VST external.

Lee
November 25, 2013 | 8:06 am

@Emmanuel, yes – wasn’t thinking about using your version. What I was wondering was whether I can write all my stuff on Windows using Visual Studio, link in your libraries and a version of Juce and then just transport that onto a Mac and build the complete job lot on Xcode.

Obv this is possible, but wanted to know whether anyone had tried this and had experience of it? On the surface this seems a good solution for developing cross-platform externals, but there doesn’t seem to be any noise about it so maybe I’ve got something wrong…

November 25, 2013 | 8:49 am

It’s definitely possible to use juce to create your own gui components and insert them into Max.
I do that a lot (developing many Ircam external objects, cross-platform).

This is relatively easy.
Basically, you render your juce component into a juce::Graphics
(cf Component::paintEntireComponent)
Then you retrieve the raw bitmap data from the graphics context
(cf Image::BitmapData::getPixelPointer)
You create a Max image surface from the bitmap data
(cf jgraphics_image_surface_create_for_data)
Then you paint the image surface into the patcher
(cf jgraphics_image_surface_draw)

This approach is not very efficient (you do all the job twice), but there are some alternatives.

This works for VST too.

November 25, 2013 | 5:16 pm

I have most of those IRCAM externals, they’re quite excellent.

Is there any chance you could provide a trivial working example for a vst?

Lee
November 26, 2013 | 1:27 am

I’m not looking to write gui components – I just want to be able to write some externals in C++ and build them for Windows and Mac in the easiest way from the same source code…

November 26, 2013 | 5:01 am

@NICOLAS —- Thanks so much for the reference. Much appreciated.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)