Forums > MaxMSP

kick drum trigger

February 27, 2011 | 10:49 pm

Hi I would like to be able step through a midi sequence of musical notes using a kick drum or snare.
I have a midi drum kit with midi out and I’m running Cubase Ableton or Pro Tools.
Is it possible to build a plugin using max msp to do this ?
thanks
Phil

February 27, 2011 | 11:02 pm

no… and yes.

It’s possible to build a little application that would take midi in from your kit, step through it’s own internal sequence, and send midi out to protools.

The only sequencer you can build plugins into at the moment is live.

February 28, 2011 | 2:48 am

You could build an application for any of those sequencers, assuming the MIDI information exists in the Max application you build. For Live, you can utilize MaxForLive and use the timeline.

Route the MIDI from your kit into MaxMSP, use it to step through data in the patch. Send the MIDI information as you step through it in MaxMSP to a midiout object and set the port to "from MaxMSP1". Then, in your sequencer, use "from MaxMSP1" as the MIDI input for an instrument channel.

Good luck with your patch.

M.

February 28, 2011 | 3:12 pm

Hi thanks for the replies. Now i know that its possible I need to start to learning max msp.
Can you suggest where I can start?
thanks again
Phil

February 28, 2011 | 3:14 pm

The tutorials are for max msp are amazing. (And quick)

Help/Max Tutorials.

February 28, 2011 | 8:37 pm

hi sorry to be so dumb but where do i find Help/Max Tutorials?
Phil

March 4, 2011 | 9:11 pm

Phil,
They are found in the application. The Help menu > Max Tutorials, MSP Tutorials and Jitter Tutorials.

Im still going through them myself, but they are spectacular and a great resource.

You can alt-click on an object in an unlocked patcher to show the help / reference for that specific object, as well.

March 9, 2011 | 1:18 am

hi thanks shalom i will have to get the demo to try it out before i buy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)