large reactable

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:55pm

large reactable

Hi List!

I want to make an installation in which I place a camera above a surface of 4×4 m.

On this surface I want to place objects and I want my computer to recognize those objects. I have ten different sorts of objects and I want my patch to see which sort of objects I have placed on this surface, where they are and how they’re rotated. The surface is also being lighted a beamer.

Now I wonder how some of you who are more experienced in this kind of stuff would approach such a project…

I myself was thinking of placing different patterns of colored led-lights on top of these objects so the computer would only have to analyze the very brightest parts of the incoming frames and recognize the lighting patterns created by these lights.

I also know Java so if there would be some suggestions which include Java-programming that won’t be a problem.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:28pm

i’d use the cv.jit objects (check maxobjects.com for the dl location) if you want to experiment with rolling your own.
otherwise, I’d just grab the software from here:
http://mtg.upf.edu/reactable/?software
and build your installation around the already provided tools!

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:46pm

Hi,

The main problem you’ll encounter by mounting the camera above the table is occlusion – ie: hands, arms, heads etc blocking the light from your LEDs.

If it were me, I’d be less inclined to try and re-invent the wheel, mount the camera underneath a clear perspex table top, use Reactivision and the TUIO external for Max/MSP, place fiducial markers on the bottom of the objects and let Reactivision track them.

You may well be more adventurous than me, and if you want to create a blob tracking system, you’ll probably want to have a look at Jean-Marc Pelletier’s cv.jit externals.

Best of luck with it, sounds like an interesting project.

Andrew Walker

Tarik wrote:
Hi List!

I want to make an installation in which I place a camera above a surface of 4×4 m.

On this surface I want to place objects and I want my computer to recognize those objects. I have ten different sorts of objects and I want my patch to see which sort of objects I have placed on this surface, where they are and how they’re rotated. The surface is also being lighted a beamer.

Now I wonder how some of you who are more experienced in this kind of stuff would approach such a project…

I myself was thinking of placing different patterns of colored led-lights on top of these objects so the computer would only have to analyze the very brightest parts of the incoming frames and recognize the lighting patterns created by these lights.

I also know Java so if there would be some suggestions which include Java-programming that won’t be a problem.

Thanks!

———————————
Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers – Check it out.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.