Laterally inversion

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:09pm

Laterally inversion

Hello.

I’m brand new in this complex max/msp universe and need a little help and advise:

I’m working on a project, a “sound mirror”, where I wanna make laterally inversion of the sounds around the mirror and send them back into the room from where they came.

I don’t wanna the inversion in time so that it plays reversed, but make the high sound low and vise versa. this should be posible by multiply with -1, but i dosen’t work for me.

Thank you so oh oh very much

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:40pm

Multiplying by -1 will invert the phase of the audio, which will have no audible effect if you listen to it by itself. It sounds like you’ll have to look into FFT to achieve what you want to. The first thing that comes to mind is that you could work out the “spectral envelope” of the incoming sound, and then invert it along the frequency axis if that makes sense. That may not achieve the sound you have in mind though, there are a few ways it could be interpreted.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:25pm

Hi. All interpretetions are more then welcome. It is a conceptual art thing so it is not that important how it sounds like, it is the idea in it self.
The idea about inverting the incoming sound along frequency axis sounds like it could work just fine. The problem is that I am a complete novice, i’ve never worked with Max/msp nor sound, which makes doing the patch very hard. If you could give me a little clue it would be a very very big help

Thank you very much so far

Feb 12, 2010 at 12:46am

fyi, i am at the moment working on an installation for the upcoming sonic acts festival in amsterdam, where i am just trying to do that. it involves fft and i am using an adapted version of timothy places object “tap.spectra~”.
more info about the object here:

http://www.maxobjects.com/?v=objects&id_objet=85&requested=ap.spectra~&operateur=AND&id_plateforme=0&id_format=0

more info about my project here (allthough the text on the website is a bit misleading):

http://2010.sonicacts.com/programme/friday/hans-w-koch-two-rooms-flipped/

and yes, it started as a conceptual idea, but various sonic incarnations sound tremendously different. some even horrible for my extended standards :-)

best
hans

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:44am

Hi Hans

That is quite a coincidense. Your project looks very interesting, though there is not that much information on that site. My mirror project is for my art academy application.

Could i maybe ask for a bit more detailed discription of how you made you patch? (i’am still lacking max skills :()

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:14am

hi mathias,

i don´t know, when you need to finish your application but my installation needs to be finished by the end of next week, so i´ll be struggeling with it until then…

i get the feeling, that there are 3 possibilities:
- you start learning max and try something (tip: look into sigmund~ -that is a free external- , you can also achieve your goal with that), then ask specific questions.
- i share my patch with you and help you understand it. this will not happen though before i finished my installation.
- you pay somebody to do the max-work for you. this a totally valid procedure too. you just miss the fun of learning max…

best
hans

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.