Launchpad DrumSeq first beta release

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:45pm

Launchpad DrumSeq first beta release

After two months of freetime programming I am proud to present you my Launchpad DrumSeq. It’s a MIDI device and it needs a drum machine to make some noise. A Novation Launchpad must be present in your setup to use this device. The upper four rows of the matrix buttons represent the four limbs of a human drummer. On each row up to 7 different drumsounds can be entered.

The next three rows represent velocity, duration and auxiliary settings. These can be applied to 12 parameters on Live devices.

There are options for saving and restoring drum patterns and pitch settings.

I’ve been learning Max programming since the first day MFL was officially released, but I had a rough time to keep the settings when the Live song is saved en reloaded. It would be nice to set default settings only when the device is loaded for the first time, but then never again. Anyone with a suggestion?

Using the device in real live situations will probably help to choose additional features to make this device more versatile. Please send your suggestions and comments.

Attachments:
  1. Launchpad_DrumSeq_screenshot.jpg
Jul 18, 2010 at 4:53pm

This is the screenshot.

[attachment=136981,826]

Attachments:
  1. Launchpad_DrumSeq_screenshot.jpg
Jul 18, 2010 at 6:33pm

thumbs up.

iam sorry i cant give a justified feedback, this patch is out of my league.

iam pretty impressed with it, it takes a while to get used to the controls, but once i had the pitch settings set up the way i need them, i was able to make a few patterns without a glance at my monitor.

thank you.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:38am

Brilliant!

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:40pm

Hi Crampe,

5 months ago you started a thread named ‘Launchpad 64 steps ImpulseSequencer’ and didn’t get any response. I did not read it then because my Launchpad is newer. I think my DrumSeq is in line with your ImpulseSequencer. Thanks for your one word reaction.

Jul 20, 2010 at 7:41pm

I have an email address for the DrumSeq now LaunchpadDrumSeq@site4fun.nl

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:33pm

You’re right xanadu.
But I’ve found some help on the ableton forum, and the patch has evolved, then I did other things and didn’t finish it….
But since tomorow (and you’re post) I’ve re-open it.
It works pretty well (and your patch would be a great ressource for improvement/idea) but my big problem is that I don’t have a reliable solution for the playhead LED feedback. People gave me idea at ableton but I didn’t manage to get something good.
Why didn’t program this in your patch?
Jul

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:37pm

In response to AuralBee’s comments on MaxForLive.Com there is an update to the Launchpad DrumSeq now.

Changes:

>Parameter controls: layout is fantastic. I noticed when automating that the live undo buffer is filling up. Could this be fixed ?
- As far as I know that would need a live.remote (for every controlled parameter). These little gems eat so much CPU that my quad core intel 2.4 Ghz can’t handle it. Even 2 or 3 parameter controls freezes the whole setup. Sorry.

>Parameter allocations do not get saved. Could pattr solve this ?
- Fixed. Keeping state between sessions gave me headaches, and I don’t think I’m really done with it now. Keep asking questions please.

>There is no room :-) but: bottom row: running light (maybe red?)
- yes. Yellow/Amber, not red. Better for the eyes, I think.

>Swing function would be nice ?
- The Launchpad Drumseq follows the timing of Ableton Live. This means that loops and tempo changes work for the device. I think DrumSeq will follow Live’s grooves as well, but this needs checking. But perhaps the drum should not always follow the general groove. It’s possible to delay drumhits, but they can’t be played before Live’s timer says it’s time.

If I add groove-control it must make sence, so I take my time for it.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:04am

There is grooving now. I have adopted Ableton Live’s groove system. If you place a groove clip on the track with the DrumSeq and let it play or loop, the sequencer will play in time with the groove. If no groove is played the drumpseq will play again in straight mode. This means that all of Live’s groove library is at your disposal and that you can play your own groove clips as well. In stead of groove templates you can also use MIDI clips with 16 well placed notes (pitch doesn’t matter).

By playing grooves with 8 or 32 notes on a bar the DrumSeq can play in double and half speed. Five, Seven or eleven notes let the sequencer play odd signatures, but this needs some experimentation.

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:13pm

Hi folks,

There apears to be a bug in MFL 5.1.4 concerning pattr devices. The DrumSeq does not correctly save and restores with the Ableton Live song. Cycling ’74 has fixed this one. There are ‘Incremental Object Updates’ at http://cycling74.com/downloads/incremental/ . You need the update for ‘pattr’. Pattr is widely used, so I suggest to go and get it. On Windows the .mxe files go to C:Program FilesCycling ’74Max 5.0Cycling ’74max-externals .

After updating the device works correctly in MFL 5.1.4.

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:56pm

Version 1.0.86 is a bugfix release.
- The running light is working again
- The Param control has been completely rewritten
- A half-speed mode is added

- The help file is not updated yet
- Some now controls have to be added to the Launchpad
- Automation is not working (yet)

I expect to update agan soon.

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:08pm

The first full version of the Launchpad drum sequencer (ver. 1.1) is released now.

New features:

- The help file is updated
- Clip-automation is working now

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:52am

Since I can’t find a note on the C’74 site, documentation, FAQ, support pages, or searching their site, or search google I wonder if you anyone could help me out and let me know where the .mxo files should be installed on OS X?

Many thanks,

Matt

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:55pm

Hallo Matt,

I’m afraid you are posting in the wrong thread. The Launchpad DrumSeq has no .mxo files. On my PC there are no .mxo files installed, but I found 3 of them in my ‘Unfrozen Max Device Files folder’.

Best regards,

Willem

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:59pm

Hi Willem.

The .mxo files are the incremental objects you were talking about installing in your post, from a few weeks ago, about a bug in MFL 5.1.4 concerning pattr devices.

However I discovered that they just released Max 5.1.5 yesterday so it became a moot point.

For the benefit of Google you install incremental objects over the top of the existing .mxo files in /Applications/Max5/Cycling74. Backup the originals and then copy the new ones over the top.

Kind regards,

Matt

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:39am

sorry to be a complete newbie here , but i dont get the thing, what does it control, can you load your own drum rack or samples, how you do it? is there any vids for the set-up? Thanks for your time.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:58pm

great idea. downloading now. the inclusion of groove is a very nice touch too.
Thanks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.