Forums > MaxMSP

Launchpad instruments

August 17, 2013 | 11:09 pm

So Ive spent the past two months mired in pedantic stuff to develop the backend of what I think could be a really great sampler and performance tool. I think I know how its going to let me build tracks, beats, save them, etc… I just need some good instruments. My headless udpsend win xp box crammed full of pirated russian VSTs is not yet running.

I’m looking for instruments that use the grid format of the LP to output nice noises. for example I have an idea for a drum machine drafted that uses the x and y axis to control pitch and tempo of repeating drum hits, with extra stuff to build tuplets via multitouch. Some guy on createdigitalmusic had done something like this with a meganome.

What’s out there for instruments that utilize the grid in cool ways that aren’t something simplistic like a step sequence editor or sequence builder? More like patches that let you exploit the grid to do awesome shit that triggers notes.

August 18, 2013 | 1:57 am

Hi Kjelgaard (Danish?) – we do a lot of things now with the original launchpad in my group, but I would say your question is very broad; grids are awesome, I basically live "in the grid", and there’s a ton of fun stuff to be done just with a launchpad.

What I’d suggest is using higher-level operations, rather than straight on/off switching, which gets very steppy sometimes.

For instance, using a euclidian sequencer within an 8*8 grid makes a lot of sense to me; use the scene buttons to select sounds, x axis = number of steps, y axis = number of active steps.

Or use a "hold one button, while pressing a second" technique to mark a trajectory across a field, perhaps populated with perlin noise.

Or using the buttons to interact with perlin noise fields; the cool thing is that you can get repeatable results if you use the same seed every time.

Or have one function of the patch populate a 64-long list and use to pads to set start- and endpoints in this sequence.

Or do an even bigger, multi-dimensional noise field, and use the pads to select between those "pages".

Or invent drumming parameters in a sequencer, such as splitting the upbeats from the downbeats and controlling them separately.

… etc. :) hope this inspires a bit. I personally prefer the lowly step sequencer, if anything for the amount of pure control I have.

August 18, 2013 | 2:16 am

Very interesting stuff. I understand maybe 30% but it sounds like a lot to look into.

Kjelgaard was my great grandfather’s name, I have appropriated it for my internet handle. He was all danish, I’m American born and raised.

August 18, 2013 | 2:29 am

If you have any questions when you dive further into the rabbit hole.

I wonder if your great grandfather was originally called Kjelgård – it was very common for Danish names to get remixed when going west. :)

August 19, 2013 | 5:01 pm

I’ve been using the LP as my only performance interface for two years now, and I’ve developed quite a few different approaches, although none as refined as the ones that wetterberg hinted at.

I mainly use max inside of live, so my approach has been to use the grid as ways to modify sound. the built in functionality of launching clips is my main way of ‘playing’ the launchpad, and that suits me just fine. I’ve made pages of virtual ‘sliders’. i’ve done some stuff with x-y control. 8 one voice sequencers that are tempo independent that was able to produce some surprisingly complex rhythmic constructions. all with led feedback of course.

It really depends on what exactly you are trying to accomplish and what type of control you want.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)