Forums > MaxMSP

launchpad step sequencer

January 14, 2014 | 8:21 am

this must be beaten to death but i am still lost. i’d like to have a system that works as follows: about 4 separate sequencers that only send one note. because they are triggering a drum machine and the pitches dont change.

the first two rows on the launchpad are for hi-hats, and that’s why it will take up two rows because that’s sixteen buttons.

the next rows of 8 will do things like kick and snare which don’t require two full rows.

so overall you can see i have a few specific requirements but even a point in the right direction would help. the only thing i know about at this point is nomone and a few max patches on the monome library like mlrv.

January 14, 2014 | 11:06 am

There are quite a few ways to do what you are asking. I would try to use [live.grid]. Just go through the reference and the max helpfile and it might point you in some kind of direction. You might want matrix mode.

January 14, 2014 | 11:17 am

ok thanks, but how does that grid end up on the launchpad?

January 14, 2014 | 3:22 pm

The Launchpad transmits and receives midi messages.

When it receives midi it interprets that as messages to control its lights.

Try sending it some random midi to get a feel for what’s going on – I like to do that every time I hack at something.

Now, I’d use matrix mode on the live.grid – that way any active step will be transmitted out its second outlet, and can be easily sent to the launchpad.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)