Learning more about 3D

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:22am

Learning more about 3D

Hi

I’m trying to teach myself more about 3d in max, mainly OpenGL, so I’m attempting to copy techniques I’ve seen. The first is this: http://tasarix.com/v10-pages/7pwrs.html. To me it looks like it’s drawn from the base up gradually, it changes colour, grows in size and orbit as it goes. I can do the last three things but it’s the trail or line it leaves that has me stuck. I thought maybe a line with points being added to a sketch but a line is flat, it doesn’t have volume, any ideas?

Second question, can’t find a visual to explain this, but it’s a texture effect I’ve seen somewhere where the texture on a 3d shape isn’t wrapped around the shape but is flat on it as if the shape is a window through which the texture is seen. Pretty sure this is easy, just can’t remember how to do it.

Thanks in advance
Garrett

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:25pm

This is what I’ve come up since my earlier post. I’m guessing it’s not the best of ideas because it relies on not reseting the sketch so how would I effectively do what this does but correctly (in the gl sense of not losing frame rate/overrunning the buffer/crashing)? Thanks in advance.

Garrett

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Aug 30, 2011 at 1:09pm

for the texture, try the @texmap attribute maybe?

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:20pm

Hi, did you make some attempt to simulate qsound effect whit Max????

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:22pm

>for the texture, try the @texmap attribute maybe?

Hi seejayjames

Yes progressed a little on the second part since I posted this thanks to Joshua’s post here: http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=4454

This:
glenable texture_gen_s,
glenable texture_gen_t,
gltexgeni s, texture_gen_mode, eye_linear,
gltexgeni t, texture_gen_mode, eye_linear,
gltexgenfv s, eye_plane, ob3d->tex_plane_s,
gltexgenfv t, eye_plane, ob3d->tex_plane_t,

with textmap turned off is starting to do what I want but the size of the texture is smaller than my object so I need to scale it up but don’t know how. I saw mention of a scale_x, scale_y in a post somewhere but don’t know how this goes into the gl. Any ideas? Thanks.

Garrett

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.