Forums > MaxMSP

Let's talk about this Apple tablet.

August 13, 2009 | 4:49 pm

I can’t go a day without hearing another rumor about why the Apple tablet does or doesn’t exist. Now, some are speculating that it’ll be released by the holidays. Is anyone else here freaking their shit out? A multi-touch tablet computer running OSX could revolutionize the way we use our favorite instrument. There are so many ways that Apple could screw this one up though.. not allowing it to run full or unsigned applications like with the iPhone, or if the hardware was too slow to be useful…

So, could this be a lemur killer?

more info here: http://gizmodo.com/tag/apple-tablet/

August 13, 2009 | 5:12 pm

full on notebook with pressure sensitive screens on both halfs

August 13, 2009 | 8:10 pm

Man I am getting pretty excited about this as well. I would
love to have a low cost multitouch interface to use as a
performance interface. I think this could be it!

ash

August 14, 2009 | 3:28 pm

These days I’m pretty confident apple will totally screw it up. The’ve been everything from idiots to downright evil lately. If it utilizes an AppStore I would be very angry. Apple has oficcially made the jump from hiding complexity for new users sake to out right fascists with this phone. I hope the tablet comes down in the osx side.

If not all we can hope for is ‘export as iPhone app’ in max Smile

August 14, 2009 | 4:16 pm

My money’s on something that’s a good deal more iPhonish and has a smaller processor on it than you’re used to. And won’t focus be fun when working with those annoying pop-up keyboards?

August 14, 2009 | 5:53 pm

The pop-up keyboards will probably have some sort of toggle, I’d imagine. Anyways, even if it had a feature to work as an extension for a more powerful computer (which I’ve read that it might…), that would still rock, because the processing power wouldn’t matter. or it could be treated like a lemur, doing as much processing as it can on its own and sending the rest off to the macbook pro.

Anyways, I suppose none of this matters since it will apparently be pushed further and further back until we all die of blue balls. I’ve realized that this is a theme with Apple… I really feel like they tip off "analysts" with all sorts of rumors to build hype for their products months ahead of time. For a device that doesn’t even exist yet, I can’t visit my homepage without seeing 2-3 new articles about it per day.

hell, we’re even talking about it here.
(sorry.)

edit to add quote from Gizmodo writer Jesus Diaz:
"I don’t know. I don’t give a damn. I just want someone to give me the damn thing already."

http://gizmodo.com/5337430/no-apple-tablet-till-2010-say-sources

August 15, 2009 | 8:07 am

The inevitable question isn’t the hardware but the interface between the multitouch information and the software. I haven’t read anything about that in snow leopard. so even if they release it we’ll have to wait for the right software. back when I thought I was cool for building my jeff han board all I wanted was for cycling to publicize the mousing messages to all the UI onbjects so I could use external controllers to emulate mouse messages.

August 20, 2009 | 7:51 am

I had mixed feelings but I got super excited when I saw these pictures: http://gizmodo.com/5340025/64-shots-of-the-fake-apple-tablet-used-in-real-life-for-better-or-worse

Even if Apple totally screws it up, it will still double as a colorful blunt rolling tray and can handle dog doo cleanup like a pro. Awesome.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)