Forums > MaxMSP

Phasor jumpy when changing sync rate

January 5, 2014 | 6:31 pm

Hi,

Why does phasor jump to a new value when I change the sync rate multiplier? Is there any way to smooth out this jump?

Ive tried using "line" which does create a ramp, but when the ramp is not working there is no signal.

A little patch to demonstrate what I mean:

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

January 6, 2014 | 5:22 am

Any1?

January 6, 2014 | 7:40 am

Here I have done a patch outlining the difference between phasor, rampsmooth and line.

Any know which tool is best for the job? Am I using them in the right way?

<code>

</code>

January 6, 2014 | 4:20 pm

Any 1 want to comment on this? It seems that most of the LFO’s in every Max implementation of phasor seem to have a problem with this, so it would be a help to anyone creating synced timings.

January 7, 2014 | 9:37 am

Any1 can help poor newtfish?

April 24, 2014 | 4:13 am

I do not quite well understand you. But what i can tell about your patches, as i see jump happens because of scaling 0 – 1 interval for different note values.

April 24, 2014 | 9:21 am

Hi Ivnos,

Not sure how scaling will affect this.

Basically, when the phasor sync is switched (say from 1/2 to 1/4), the phasor jumps directly to the position where is should be according to 1/4. Whereas I was hoping to find a way to get it to smooth out that jump (while going back into sync within a short period).

Abletons own devices seem to do this. I thought it would be something that is common with the usage of phasor sync?

April 24, 2014 | 11:04 am

This may not apply to your situation, but have you tried setting the sync mode to off?

April 24, 2014 | 3:14 pm

Hi NECEQ, if sync mode is set to off, how can I move from 1/2 to 1/4 ? Is it possible to calculate the frequency based on synced values?

April 24, 2014 | 4:13 pm

I understand what you’re talking about all too well. I ran into this problem when coding my "binary" (and then "hex") mod for monomodular. The problem is the sync setting: if you turn sync off, phasor won’t jump….but of course then there isn’t proper sync. It seemed like a bug, but when I thought about it I realized it was a necessary evil of phasor remaining in sync when changing frequencies.

The solution I use it to scale the phasor using a custom gen~ object…unfortunately my implementation is pretty application specific so I doubt it would help you. Anyway, just thought I’d throw in my 2 cents.

a

April 24, 2014 | 7:10 pm

is this what you’re looking for?

it could be made more exact maybe by incorporating delta~ to account for exact change in slope, but was the quickest thing i could think of outside of gen~.
you could also cater the $1 timing to zigzag~ better for your specific needs… when i run it at extremely fast tempos it’s too fast to tell :p

(also, ‘lock’ is supposed to work this way, jumping straight to the new value… it mimics the ‘lock’ function of the rate~ object… if there was a ‘sync’ mode to phasor~ might be nice too(waits for next cycle before registering change)…)

but anyways, hope it helps.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)