Forums > MaxMSP

[line] augmentation -special resume ponderings

Sev
December 10, 2012 | 4:34 am

I’m curious how to make this work. I am trying to add a temporary resume to the [line] object. As of now the resume is mostly working minus I am missing the key to actual get this to kick for the resume message. Maybe there is a clean way of doing this (more effective logic while being light on the cpu)?

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

MIB
December 11, 2012 | 9:56 am

how about something like this???

Sev
December 12, 2012 | 7:59 pm

thank you. that seems to work nicely. im rather shocked there was no resume message for [line]

December 13, 2012 | 4:25 am

I have an abstraction that does similar things which I posted in this thread: http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=39477

Sev
December 13, 2012 | 10:08 pm

Thanks. I did see that but I am not familiar with inlets or outlets and did not want to take the time to explore this. Plus I was seeing my problem to be also a lack of understanding of how to trigger [line] to give an output.

It takes the message [-4, 4 7500] fine enough but when you try to replicate this with sending the equivalent characters but trying to pack various sources to [pack i , i i] to [line] does not work but placing a message between the [pack] and the [line] works for some reason.

December 13, 2012 | 11:13 pm

The misunderstanding is about the role of the comma in a message box containing "-4, 4 7500" The comma is interpreted as spit this text into two messages. Line never sees the comma. This patch shows that what the message box sends is two messages:

Sev
December 14, 2012 | 3:49 am

As screen real estate is so important to me, I just debug with bangs, msg boxes, and number (int/float) boxes. I should really leave the max window open more but there is no nice space to have it (also you always have to open it). I like the programs like Processing and Eclipse have a debugging (and command line) in the same view as where you are editing the patch. Also these spaces are program specific. The max window is a shared space between all open patches :(

December 14, 2012 | 4:35 am

If you enable the sidebar, you can have the Max messages show in the sidebar of the window you’re editing. It’s not window-specific, though.

Sev
December 14, 2012 | 10:54 am

I dont believe there is any easy way to have the always visible. As of now if you open or create a new patch (regardless of what was viewed last), the user has to enter a command to show the sidebar. That is not a desirable UI. I know ctrl+m exists and that is the best representation, as any max patch shares that space.

December 14, 2012 | 3:21 pm

> im rather shocked there was no resume message for [line]

The signal version does have these options. It could be that it is not implemented (as well as multi segment lines) because all kinds of issues need to be dealt with that can be approached in different ways. And no matter what approach one takes, it is always ‘wrong’. Probably it is decided that the programmer should deal with this. This patch for instance shows an issue:

Concerning an approach, I add one of my own build around the function object, that can be extended to multi segment lines.

December 14, 2012 | 7:30 pm

lets don´t forget that the (non-signal) line object outputs in grains.
when it receives a message for "pause", when should it start to pause? right now or after the next output?
and what should it do if it receives the "resume" message before the next output after the arrival of the "pause" message has not yet been sent out? restart its internal clock for the output ot not? …

Sev
December 16, 2012 | 7:33 am

I have to assume some of these are rhetorical questions. At beast they are critically thinking but redundant.

if someone says stop to you, if you follow you stop right then and there ( I am substituting stop for pause as stop is a term people use to command that an action must cease).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)