Forums > MaxMSP

listening to audio while recording with soundflower

March 29, 2013 | 1:45 pm

Hello everyone. I was hoping for a little advice. First of, Soundflower is awesome, can’t believe something this useful can be free. A quick question about settings; I am using osx 10.6.8, and using Soundflower to record audio from Quicktime screen recorder. I have it recording fine, but I want to be able to hear the audio while it is recording, right now, the audio through my computer’s speakers is muted while I’m recording.

I do believe I found the answer, but I’m not at home to test it, and I want to see if I’m on the right path.

It appears that this is the fix (a picture is worth a thousand words, LOL):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Desmoface/Radio/soundflowersetup_zpsc49eb6fa.jpg

Apparently I just need to select soundflowerbed>soundflower 2 ch>make sure "built-in audio" is checked. Would this allow me to hear the audio through my speakers while it’s recording? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

March 29, 2013 | 3:25 pm

So…
If you are using Max, you’ll notice in the audio configurations window that there is input device and output device. Just put soundlfower as input, and built in output as output. You need to have soundflower set to default device in your "audio / midi configuration", that way Quicktime will always export audio through soundflower.

If you are not using Max to record, i’m not sure that method would work, because then i don’t know if you could have anything else than audio output device as an output device and you need your recording program to be an output device as well for Soundflower. Er, i don’t know if that’s very clear. But try this, and if it doesn’t work, you might want to try jack, which is a little like soundflower, but more complicated, to install and to use, but is also more versatile.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)