Live API device only functions in edit mode?

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:25pm

Live API device only functions in edit mode?

Hi,

I have a Live API device that I’ve made which works fine, but only as long as the edit button is pressed. When I close the M4L editor and return to Live, none of the Live API functions work anymore.

The patch uses a padKontrol to trigger the API. Since the PK only send out sysex, I have a Max patch to handle the sysex, which converts the sysex to numbers and uses send/receive pairs to send those numbers over to M4L.

I can’t imagine this is the way its suppose to work, what am I doing wrong?

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:53pm

When returning to non-edit mode the patch is started again. All id’s of LiveAPI objects are lost in this process. You must have some kind of mechanism to restart any initialization.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:02pm

Sorry, does that mean I need to reinitialize my live.path objects after the editor is closed?

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:01pm

Yes.

Dec 28, 2009 at 2:10pm

Nope, thanks but I don’t think that’s it.

I can get the patch to function by sending bang messages to it from inside a M4L effect. What I need is for it to function by receiving data from another Max patch (which is connected to my controller, which only sends sysex). I need a button press on my controller to be sent over to my M4L device, which works fine when the M4L editor is open.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:23pm

Can you throw a print object onto the receive object in the M4L patch and confirm that the messages aren’t getting there?

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:36pm

In my experience send/receive between M4L devices and standard Max patches work only if the M4L device is in edit mode. So I’m surprised that are you are able to send a bang message from a M4L effect to Max even if the M4L effect is not in edit mode.

Dec 29, 2009 at 3:01pm

@nnneuro: Yes, I did put a print object onto the receive and the messages are definitely not getting there.

@broc:Your experience seems correct. My bang object triggers an object inside the M4L device. When I try and trigger the object from my Max patch, this doesn’t work, except if the device is in edit mode, when it works fine.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a basic limitation of M4L. I think that I’ll try using a udpsend or just sending the message out a virtual midi port and into Live that way.

Thanks for the advice.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:45am

I can confirm now that udpsend and receive work as expected regardless of whether the device editor is open. Happy about that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.