Forums > Max For Live

live.button bangs on device load – how to stop it?

May 1, 2014 | 3:05 pm

When I load the device copied below or open it in the editor, the live.button connected to p togSetTimeSigD gets banged and changes the live set time sig denominator. I only want the button to bang when I touch it, of course. I haven’t used live.thisdevice to force any bangs at device load and don’t understand why it’s happening. A cursory search didn’t lead to any good resources on debugging M4L device loading. Setting Initial enable with initial as 0 in the inspector doesn’t fix it.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

May 1, 2014 | 4:06 pm

You could put a gate after the button, and open it after 100 ms or some other time delay using a live.thisdevice into a [delay 100] -> [t 1] -> [gate]

But there might be a way to just not send out bangs on device load. Not at my M4L machine at the moment, but the above should be a dirty fix.

May 1, 2014 | 6:05 pm

Your suggestion unfortunately cripples the patch for some reason I can’t fathom. Moot point, though:

What’s weirder is that I get the time sig denominator toggle even when the live.button itself is no longer connected to p togSetTimeSigD. So, the live.button banging at device load is NOT the cause of this behavior. I’m lost for an explanation, wish I could find something good to read on this topic.

May 1, 2014 | 6:34 pm

For now I’m just using live.thisdevice to bang the toggle back after a [delay 100]. I can see the live set time sig change to 8 and back to 4 when I load it now.

Irritating and hacky, but I guess it will keep me from having to remember to hit that button every time I load a set with that device in it or every time I add the device to a set. Unfortunately it still flips the toggle when I close the editor, but I don’t need to do that often.

May 1, 2014 | 7:03 pm

Here’s the full context:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

July 14, 2014 | 12:33 am

Follow up: I can avoid this behavior by passing arguments to live.path via messagebox, rather than specifying the arguments in the live.path object itself. The latter will cause automatic bangs downstream anytime the device is loaded. Peculiar.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)