Forums > Max For Live

live.dial – set value independent of needle position?

June 10, 2012 | 1:34 pm

Hi,
is it possible to set the value (and thus the orange bar) of live.dial independently of the needle position? This would be similar to when a dial is automated in Live.
What I want to do is set a (needle) value of the dial with the mouse and then have an LFO oscillate that parameter around the set value. The dial’s needle would then be constant, but the value of the dial would oscillate around this value.

June 10, 2012 | 2:26 pm

What you describe is called ‘modulation’ in Live.
You may search the docs, but I think it works only with clip envelopes as source.

June 10, 2012 | 3:36 pm

Thanks!
Thats indeed what I would like, but as you say, it only seems to work with clip envelopes. A workaround based on this discussion http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=36270 is to put a live.dial with transparent dial and needle color on top of a nontransparent live.dial, which gets its values from the transparent dial plus the lfo. Thats not perfect however, because the needle value oscillates as well, and in live.dial the needle and the dial color cannot be set seperately.
Therefore more hacks: I put a max dial element between the two live.dials with everything but the needle transparent, the needle gets input from the transparent top live.dial. That works, I now only need to figure out how to set the dial size of the max dial to exactly this of the live.dials…

June 10, 2012 | 6:37 pm

turns out that trying to do what I described in the previous post is quite frustrating: I can’t get the max dial to have the same size and be exactly on top the live.dial. Also for the max dial there exists the property "Number of Degrees used in Circle", and I can only guess what this is in the live.dial, all I know that it’s not 270…
Can this be done more systematically?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)