Forums > MaxMSP

Live editing of loops using effects

December 7, 2013 | 7:51 am

Hi, I am awful at using this software, but I have to use it for uni. Is it possible to have some effects patches within my looping patch and have the option to use the effects on all the loops or just selected ones? For example, I may want to use reverb on them all, or just on loop number 1. How can I do this? I haven’t got my effects patches yet, but I can show my loop one, so perhaps someone could give me an example on where to go next. I would greatly appreciate any help.

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

December 7, 2013 | 9:04 am

Regarding your question, "Is it possible to … have the option to use the effects on all the loops or just selected ones? For example, I may want to use reverb on them all, or just on loop number 1. How can I do this?":

The matrix~ object is like an audio mixer/router, and once you learn how it works it can be very useful for bringing sounds in and out of a mix smoothly. For the basics of matrix~, see Example 3: Using matrix~ for multi-channel audio amplitude control.

To make things happen for some events and not for others, you probably want to have a "flag" indicating yes or no associated with each event. One way to do this in Max is to store "yes" or "no" indicators in a table object and look them up for each numbered event. You can find a patch that demonstrates the table object in the file majorscaleupdown.txt.

The attached patch demonstrates how to use matrix~ as a bypass switch. The incoming sound (a comb-filtered click) is always sent out the left outlet, but is only sent out the right outlet to the reverberator when you explicitly open that outlet. The two sounds (unreverbed and reverbed) are then added. I also show how you could play a sequence of 16 sounds, and for each one you could look up a yes-or-no decision about whether to apply reverb to that sound.
<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

December 7, 2013 | 9:11 am

Thank you so much! Hopefully I can get my head around this…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)