Forums > Jitter

live input audio track to jit.qt.record?

August 17, 2006 | 5:11 am

Hi. Can someone point me to a place in the jitter documentation that describes recording a live audio track with a qt movie? (jit.qt.grab does this nicely because it is expecting a live source.) I think I’m overlooking an obvious way either to a) create an audio track in the new qt movie and get audio into it (jit.poke?), or b) create the tracks as separate entities and combine them somehow downstream. I’m trying to keep this as much a one-step process as possible. I want to build a very simple screencasting patch using jit.desktop, and would like an easy way to add the option of simultaneous audio input with the display capture, not too cumbersome for the person who will use it.

Thanks,
Tim


August 17, 2006 | 6:15 am

Okay–looking through the jit.qt.movie documentation again, I realize that it will be very easy to automate the patch to open the newly created movie file after writing it and create an audio track and copy the newly created audio file into it. If the two recordings are started simultaneously, then sync should not be a problem, especially for a low-res screencast. Now this is looking like the way to do it, but am I still missing something?

Quote: tim_thompson@mac.com wrote on Thu, 17 August 2006 01:11
—————————————————-
> Hi. Can someone point me to a place in the jitter documentation that describes recording a live audio track with a qt movie? (jit.qt.grab does this nicely because it is expecting a live source.) I think I’m overlooking an obvious way either to a) create an audio track in the new qt movie and get audio into it (jit.poke?), or b) create the tracks as separate entities and combine them somehow downstream. I’m trying to keep this as much a one-step process as possible. I want to build a very simple screencasting patch using jit.desktop, and would like an easy way to add the option of simultaneous audio input with the display capture, not too cumbersome for the person who will use it.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
—————————————————-


August 17, 2006 | 6:22 am

If you’re on OSX there’s a new object with Jitter 1.6 called
jit.qt.vcr that does this audio-visual gluing for you. Otherwise, the
method you describe is the way to do it.

wes

On 8/17/06, Tim wrote:
>
> Okay–looking through the jit.qt.movie documentation again, I realize that it will very easy to automate the patch to open the newly created movie file after writing it and create an audio track and copy the newly created audio file into it. If the two recordings are started simultaneously, then sync should not be a problem, especially for a low-res screencast. Now this is looking like the way to do it, but am I still missing something?
>
>
> Quote: tim_thompson@mac.com wrote on Thu, 17 August 2006 01:11
> —————————————————-
> > Hi. Can someone point me to a place in the jitter documentation that describes recording a live audio track with a qt movie? (jit.qt.grab does this nicely because it is expecting a live source.) I think I’m overlooking an obvious way either to a) create an audio track in the new qt movie and get audio into it (jit.poke?), or b) create the tracks as separate entities and combine them somehow downstream. I’m trying to keep this as much a one-step process as possible. I want to build a very simple screencasting patch using jit.desktop, and would like an easy way to add the option of simultaneous audio input with the display capture, not too cumbersome for the person who will use it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tim
> —————————————————-
>
>
> –
> Tim Thompson
>
> Assoc. Professor
> Palm Beach Atlantic University
>
> dorkbot-sofla
> http://dorkbot.org/dorkbotsofla
>


August 17, 2006 | 7:22 am

Quote: wesley.hoke@gmail.com wrote on Thu, 17 August 2006 02:22
—————————————————-
> If you’re on OSX there’s a new object with Jitter 1.6 called
> jit.qt.vcr that does this audio-visual gluing for you.
—————————————————-

Thanks Wes, I had missed that. I found it in the Release Notes, then tried it in a patcher, and it wasn’t in the popup list. Actually, it is jit.vcr, and it is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for being on top of that!

Tim


Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)