Forums > Max For Live

Live not passing poly aftertouch to m4l device?

January 24, 2010 | 8:23 am

i’m building a custom handler in max4live for my td20. the drum brain uses aftertouch to send the cymbal choke messages. i have a max midi selector (lifted from the example from the help) within a max midi effect in a live track — it is receiving notes and cc values just fine, but poly aftertouch is ignored. i’ve set the aftertouch attribute to 1 in the midi selector object.

using midi monitor (os x), i can see that the machine is indeed receiving the aftertouch data. live is ignoring it or filtering it out, or does not yet have a mechanism for passing to m4l devices.

anyone else encountering this, or have thoughts on resolution? i know i can make a max patch that floats outside of live that intercepts and translates the aftertouch to cc, etc. and pass to live, but this is not very elegant.

January 24, 2010 | 8:37 am

in the max for live documentation, "max for live for pluggo developers":

"Live does not currently support polyphonic aftertouch (received by the polyin~ object)."

gosh, that sucks.

January 24, 2010 | 10:01 am

[Shameless plug] Maybe my Java based MIDI driver (http://netzhansa.com/jmidi.zip) can help you with that. You’ll need to use a loopback MIDI device to get stuff back into Live if you desire so.

January 24, 2010 | 11:10 am

Does it also work on Macs?
I’ve read somewhere that Java on Mac doesn’t support MIDI..

January 24, 2010 | 11:24 am

It should work on Macs – I’m using Windows myself, but the original idea was of mo-seph who I think is a Mac user. Let us know if it does not.

January 24, 2010 | 12:15 pm

Here is some information on Java, MIDI and Macs: http://www.humatic.de/htools/mmj.htm

January 24, 2010 | 2:04 pm

Ok, so the issue seems resolved with the latest versions of OS X.
Could be a reason for upgrading..

January 24, 2010 | 6:18 pm

thanks hans, i’ll see if that fits in the setup. i do also have max 5 standalone, so most likely i will use that to intercept/translate the aftertouch into something else, but if that fails i’ll try your java driver.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)