live.observer activity before live.thisdevice bangs

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:31pm

live.observer activity before live.thisdevice bangs

Hi all – I’m analysing traffic from my M4L device and I see a lot of data coming out of the device without understanding what triggers it.

here’s some info about my setup:
* The M4L device is pretty big, it reports track, device and parameter names, and it monitors a lot of things, like track volume levels.
* The M4L device has no [loadbang] objects, all is triggered nicely in sequence from one single [live.thisdevice].
* All of the data is sent out of Live using udpsend, I catch the data (udpreceive) and analyse it in a Max patch

When I doubleclick [live.thisdevice] I see the bang (I log it) and subsequently a neat step by step initialisation (ie I get all the live set data in an orderly manner)
However when I load the liveset, or remove and re-add the M4L device, it’s a mess. A lot of duplication of messages, and -weirdly enough- a lot of messages from objects BEFORE the live.thisdevice triggers.

Did anyone else notice that M4L devices get busy even before the live.thisdevice bangs?

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:13pm

Yes, in particular I’ve noticed that live.path with an argument like [live.path live_set] independently sends the id when a device is loaded. So you get a duplicate message if the object receives a bang from live.thisdevice.

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:24am

I do remember this before moving to js… Iirc I used to put a gate on the outputs so I could ignore everything until patch was loaded and I had done my initialisation

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:27am

thanks guys… I think I’ll live with it for a bit longer. The gate idea is good too – though in my case I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra logic

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.