live.observer and dynamically instantiated abstractions

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:40am

live.observer and dynamically instantiated abstractions

hello all. happy almost new year.

I’ve been banging my head on this one for a while and now turning to the cycling community for suggestions…

I have some live.observer abstractions which themselves are instantiated multiple times in another abstraction. I’m using this setup to observe value changes of a launchpad. So each live.observer abstraction observers a particular launchpad button and I can instantiate multiples of the parent launchpad device abstraction if I want to observe multiple launchpads. My observers work if I statically instantiate the parent launchpad device abstraction. However, if I dynamically instantiate my launchpad device abstraction using newdefault calls to thispatcher or via javascript then the live.observer don’t respond. I don’t get the anything out of them on button value changes nor do I get the initial state when the live.observer is first initialized.

Is this a timing issue? Is the live device not ready yet? I tried deferlow-ing the creation of the parent abstraction as well as passing in the initial control ids and nothing seems to work. Am I missing something critical here?

Thanks!

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:54pm

It looks like a specific limitation of observers. Similarly, dynamic instantiation of observers in poly~ is also not possible (there was a forum thread about it).

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:22am

I thought I was able to dynamically create live.observers on the fly and they would work. It just seems if they are embedded in another patch and the parent patch is dynamically created then they won’t work.

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:34am

There seems to be some stuff done in m4l that only works at initial load – e.g. — does not work in dynamically loaded patchers either – perhaps this is also true for the observers? Might be best to shoot a msg to c74 support and see if this is also a limitation…

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:52am

yeah I was afraid it would come down to some odd limitation. thanks for the replies, I’ll prune down my patch and give c74 support a holler and reply back here with the out come.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:33pm

Just wanted to follow up, I contacted c74 support and unfortunately it’s confirmed that I cannot script observers. But it was suggested that I use JS instead.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.