Forums > MaxMSP

live.slider, can I change range/enum on the fly?

March 6, 2014 | 8:39 am

Is it possible to remotely change range/enum’s values for the live.slider object?
i.e. by pressing a toggle button.

Thanks!

March 6, 2014 | 11:00 am

You can do it with the regular slider, but I don’t think you can do it with the live.slider.

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

March 6, 2014 | 12:27 pm

Thanks, you are right!

Jan
March 8, 2014 | 12:29 pm

In case you depend on live.slider i.e for automatation or MIDI control you can normalize the slider ie beteeen 0 and 1 and scale the output.

March 8, 2014 | 12:49 pm

Jan,

I totally agree.

But when you have i.e. an 8 steps parameter, you won’t have value quantisation for the envelopes, would you?

Jan
March 9, 2014 | 5:05 am

you’r right, you would lose quantization in the envelope. Are the amount of steps always the same, just the values different? in this case you could just route the live.slider output to different colls. If you need different amount of steps as well the only workaround I can think of is to use multiple live.sliders – for every case one and dynamically show/hide the active one in the UI.

March 9, 2014 | 9:32 am

The Live application requires that things like parameter ranges need to be set at instantiation and not messed with afterward. For that reason, NO live.* UI object lets you change slider or dial ranges – you’ll need to use standard Max UI objects for that. There may be some interesting attempts out there to circumvent this, so perhaps others may wish to contribute their interesting and idiosyncratic approaches to the problem that differ from going with vanilla Max objects. :-)

Jan
March 10, 2014 | 3:46 am

Hi Gregory, you are right. Gravetti’s point was that he was looking for the flexibilty of the vanilla objects in combination with the abilitiy of midi mapping in live. Hence the hacks. Sure this is not how live parameters are conceived, but hey isn’t max also about finding solutions ;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)