loading audio from a video into a buffer?

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:31pm

loading audio from a video into a buffer?

Is there a way to load the audio from a video immediately into a buffer? I had a look at spigot but I see no way to access the cached file. I could just separate the audio from the video and load them at the same time but thats a lot of work when you want to experiment just with some files.

Any ideas / tips on the subject?

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:07pm

just to be clear, what you are asking for is a method for loading the audio track in a QT file into a [buffer~] object?
sorry but i’m not aware of any solutions for this, think u might have to go with the separation of audio / video files. but maybe someone else knows…

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:43pm

Yes, loading a QT movie with audio into max and the audio automatically transfered to a buffer. I searched the forum but no clue’s how to do this. I read that spigot stores the audio in a cache file but I have no idea how to access this file and if thats possible at all.

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:24pm

try the “import” message to buffer~.

you will have to possibly first read the movie into qt.movie, query the length, resize the buffer~ based on that length, and then import the movie into the buffer~

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:58pm

Yes, import message works great. Great tip. Thanx a million!!!

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:48pm

Hi there!

This post is from a while back, but I wanted to ask how you guys worked around reading a movie file in ~buffer. I tried what Rob suggested, loading the file into the qt.movie, querying the length and then resizing the buffer to finally try to read the movie file, but ~buffer just will not let me load any video files! A super short tip or example would be most appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Julio

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:21am

this should work. ?

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:57am

[buffer~] is one of the victima of c74′s recent ‘update mania’. Several features broke in Max 6.0
Import the audio portion of a .mov file works again with Max 6.1, no need to query length.

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:08pm

Wow! Thank you both for the quick response! Im going use CTRLZJONES method as it sheds light on a couple of other important importing factors! Thanks for the support!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.