loading external objects

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:13pm

loading external objects

Hello,
I downloaded some external objects with the extension .mxo, and put them in the externals folder of max. But whenever I try to use them Max doesn’t recognize them. The strange thing is there is no error message saying “object not found”. If I take them out of the externals folder , the error message pops up whenver I try to use those objects, but when I put them back in the externals folder, nothing happens, and they don’t work. I also tryed to do File -> Install, and load the objects, but nothing happened once again, not even a message. I asked some people who are good at using Max (I’m pretty much a beginner), and they couldn’t figure it out either.
Any help would be much appreciated.
-Alex

#26908
Jul 24, 2006 at 8:51pm

Is it showing the objects as bogus’s or is it just not working? also what version of max are you using as in OS and max version.
May shed some light
T

#80963
Jul 25, 2006 at 5:08pm

Hello,
Max seems to recognize the object, as when I look at the help file it brings me to the correct help file, rather than an error message. It seems to just not be working, but I downloaded some other objects with .mxo extensions, and they don’t work either with the same kind of problems, so I don’t believe its the object itself that’s the problem. As for versions, I’m using a Mac with OS 10.3.9 and the Max/MSP version is 4.5.7.
Thanks for the help
-alex

#80964
Jul 25, 2006 at 5:27pm

If the object is showing as bogus (i.e. has a dotted outline instead of a solid one), it may just lack some required arguments. Usually objects that require arguments will post a message to the Max window when you try to instantiate them without arguments. If you can open the help files for the objects, try copying the object from the help file and pasting it into a new patcher window.

#80965
Jul 25, 2006 at 6:27pm

The object has a solid outline, just no input or outputs. I tried copying the object from the help file, but as soon as I changed anything in the object, even if I returned it to its previous arguments, the inputs and outputs went away. It’s baffling.
-alex

#80966
Jul 25, 2006 at 6:29pm

On 25-Jul-2006, at 19:08, alex wrote:
> Max seems to recognize the object, as when I look at the help file
> it brings me to the correct help file, rather than an error
> message. It seems to just not be working, but I downloaded some
> other objects with .mxo extensions, and they don’t work either with
> the same kind of problems, so I don’t believe its the object itself
> that’s the problem. As for versions, I’m using a Mac with OS
> 10.3.9 and the Max/MSP version is 4.5.7.

If you scour the archives sufficiently, you will discover that there
have been various reports of Max 4.5.x behaving a little erratically
with .mxo externals.

For some people they work beautifully, for others they only work
after some cajoling (use of Install…, different location in the
search path, selecting a different page from the Karma Sutra on the
night before installing the object, whatever…).

Personally, I would stick to CFM externals on Max 4.5. If you insist
on .mxo’s, then use 4.6. It’s beta than nothin’.

– P.

————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
Peter Castine +–> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter
Universal Binaries on the way
iCE: Sequencing, Recording &
Interface Building for |home | chez nous|
Max/MSP Extremely cool |bei uns | i nostri|
http://www.dspaudio.com/ http://www.castine.de

#80967

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.