Forums > MaxMSP

loading pathes dynamically in max …

July 13, 2011 | 10:43 am

Hi,

I have several subpatches in my max patch running simultaneously, and this peaks my cpu. So what is the best strategy? Should I create a max patch, where I load each subpatch dynamically? The problem here is that I would like to crossfade between two subpatches that each has its own syntehsis algorithm …

Also, it looks like if I don’t trigger all the sounds in all the subptaches on a regular basis, the cpu goes up, while it stabilizes on a lower point when I trigger all sounds on a regular basis … how come?

Thanks for adding of your own experiences and throughs to this post – this is of great help for me, who is a bit new to max …

K

July 13, 2011 | 11:03 am

Have you had a look at the mute~ object?
Also Alex Harker also has an object that can load patches dynamically in his suite of objects released recently.
As for crossfading, maybe somehow delay/loop the output of the muted subpatch while crossfading it with the newly -loaded /unmuted patch…

July 13, 2011 | 12:25 pm

Hi, and thanks for the advice, Ihave now downloaded and tried out the Alex Harker objects … I don’t seem to get any sound output … (perhaps it is because it works differently than bpatcher?)

K

See main patch and the two loaded patches … do I use it in the right way??

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

sounda:

soundb:

July 13, 2011 | 12:31 pm

… is there a way to dynamically loading new max patches into bpatcher?

Ch
July 13, 2011 | 1:34 pm

Yes, sending the message "script sendbox YourBpatcherName replace yourPatch.maxpat" to [thispatcher]

July 13, 2011 | 2:14 pm

Ok, stupid question, but how do I name my bpatcher?

July 13, 2011 | 2:16 pm

ahh, never mind, in the info window :-)

July 13, 2011 | 2:24 pm

How do I avoid a CLICK when loading a new patch into one of the bpatchers?

I would like to just let the sound run (without getting interrupted) in bpatcher B while I load a new patch into bpatcher A

July 13, 2011 | 2:40 pm

Here I have made an example of what I am talking about – I would like to fade one patch in while the other patch still runs:

the four loaded patches:

July 13, 2011 | 2:47 pm

I am afraid you have to wait for max 6 ;)

… or you can separate your dsp in one patch (and load it in a poly~ or in Alex Harker’s wonderful dynamicdsp~) and the interface in another patch, which you load in bpatcher

hth
aa

July 13, 2011 | 2:49 pm

hmm, ok no way around dynamicdsp~ I’ll make another try and see if I can get it to work …

July 13, 2011 | 2:50 pm

… but if your goal is just saving cpu, I’d load them all (into poly~ and dynamicdsp~) and selectively mute/unmute them

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)