Forums > Jitter

loadram without pausing

September 7, 2007 | 8:51 am

Hi all,

when I use loadram to load a movie into ram with jit.qt.movie, max is blocked while the object is loading the movie into RAM. Is there any way to avoid that?

thanks
secco


September 7, 2007 | 1:32 pm

i would do that with loadbang when the patch loads. that way all your movs can be loaded into ram before you start the processing.

i am not aware of another way to avoid the loadram "hang".

j


September 7, 2007 | 2:47 pm

definitely. Check out the loadram x y message too, which loads
portions of your movie, not the whole thing. This along with
something like poly~ for movies, js_moviebank or similar multiple
jit.qt.movie handling methodologies will allow you to manage your
movies, without ‘unloading’ them from ram, or loading others in its
place reintroducing the delay.

also, preroll 1 is quite handy as well.

On Sep 7, 2007, at 9:32 AM, justin wrote:

>
> i would do that with loadbang when the patch loads. that way all
> your movs can be loaded into ram before you start the processing.
>
> i am not aware of another way to avoid the loadram "hang".
>
> j

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


September 7, 2007 | 3:03 pm

from jitter manual / jit.qt.movie:

Preroll movie on stop flag (default = 0)
When enabled, the jit.qt.movie object will attempt to asynchronously preroll the next section of the current movie for fast, non-interrupting restart.
Note: use of preroll and asyncread unloads any sections of the current movie loaded into RAM using the loadram method.

never used preroll option before… cheers for the pointer!
but looks like its either loadram or preroll – not both!

j

Quote: vade wrote on Fri, 07 September 2007 15:47
—————————————————-
> definitely. Check out the loadram x y message too, which loads
> portions of your movie, not the whole thing. This along with
> something like poly~ for movies, js_moviebank or similar multiple
> jit.qt.movie handling methodologies will allow you to manage your
> movies, without ‘unloading’ them from ram, or loading others in its
> place reintroducing the delay.
>
> also, preroll 1 is quite handy as well.
>
> On Sep 7, 2007, at 9:32 AM, justin wrote:
>
> >
> > i would do that with loadbang when the patch loads. that way all
> > your movs can be loaded into ram before you start the processing.
> >
> > i am not aware of another way to avoid the loadram "hang".
> >
> > j
>
> v a d e //
>
> http://www.vade.info
> abstrakt.vade.info
>
>
>
>
>
>
—————————————————-


September 7, 2007 | 6:22 pm

Thanks Vade, thanks Justin,

unfortunately all that doesn’t help me at all. I checked all that out before (except moviebank and poly).
The main problem is that loadram doesn’t seem to be asynchronous, right? I read somewhere in the forum that it shoud be since jitter 1.5. But it doesn’t look so (I’m on 1.63 XP).

I can’t preload multiple movies because I will have over 50 of them and one takes over 1GB on the Harddisk (Animation Codec 75 perc).
I can’t compress them more because I need the alphachannel so I can’t use better compressors like H264 or something like that. Or does anybody know a good codec which supports alpha?
Maybe I could load the movie asynchronously into a jit.matrixset? But then it would probably exceed RAM because it will be completely uncompressed, right? So in that case I would need more than 2GB RAM. Probably more than 4GB. Don’t know if that is possible to adress anyway?

Is there a certain reason why loadram blocks jitter? unloadram works asynchronously, bang by bang. loadram doesn’t:-(

I don’t know how to solve this:-(
Any other suggestions, ideas?

thanks
secco


September 7, 2007 | 6:46 pm

Har, I just send in a patch in the HD playback for jitter which is my
solution to loading 19 DVCPro HD movies,

I use preroll 1, load them, and IMMEDIATELY stop them, :)

so the next time I load them, the initial few frames is in ram for
Jitter. This ought to work for 50 movies.

Feel free to use the patch.

On Sep 7, 2007, at 2:22 PM, secco wrote:

>
> Thanks Vade, thanks Justin,
>
> unfortunately all that doesn’t help me at all. I checked all that
> out before (except moviebank and poly).
> The main problem is that loadram doesn’t seem to be asynchronous,
> right? I read somewhere in the forum that it shoud be since jitter
> 1.5. But it doesn’t look so (I’m on 1.63 XP).
>
> I can’t preload multiple movies because I will have over 50 of them
> and one takes over 1GB on the Harddisk (Animation Codec 75 perc).
> I can’t compress them more because I need the alphachannel so I
> can’t use better compressors like H264 or something like that. Or
> does anybody know a good codec which supports alpha?
> Maybe I could load the movie asynchronously into a jit.matrixset?
> But then it would probably exceed RAM because it will be completely
> uncompressed, right? So in that case I would need more than 2GB
> RAM. Probably more than 4GB. Don’t know if that is possible to
> adress anyway?
>
> Is there a certain reason why loadram blocks jitter? unloadram
> works asynchronously, bang by bang. loadram doesn’t:-(
>
> I don’t know how to solve this:-(
> Any other suggestions, ideas?
>
> thanks
> secco
>
>

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


September 7, 2007 | 7:01 pm

rather, the HD playback for jitter *thread*. So check that out.
On Sep 7, 2007, at 2:46 PM, vade wrote:

> Har, I just send in a patch in the HD playback for jitter which is
> my solution to loading 19 DVCPro HD movies,
>
> I use preroll 1, load them, and IMMEDIATELY stop them, :)
>
> so the next time I load them, the initial few frames is in ram for
> Jitter. This ought to work for 50 movies.
>
> Feel free to use the patch.
>
> On Sep 7, 2007, at 2:22 PM, secco wrote:
>
>>
>> Thanks Vade, thanks Justin,
>>
>> unfortunately all that doesn’t help me at all. I checked all that
>> out before (except moviebank and poly).
>> The main problem is that loadram doesn’t seem to be asynchronous,
>> right? I read somewhere in the forum that it shoud be since jitter
>> 1.5. But it doesn’t look so (I’m on 1.63 XP).
>>
>> I can’t preload multiple movies because I will have over 50 of
>> them and one takes over 1GB on the Harddisk (Animation Codec 75
>> perc).
>> I can’t compress them more because I need the alphachannel so I
>> can’t use better compressors like H264 or something like that. Or
>> does anybody know a good codec which supports alpha?
>> Maybe I could load the movie asynchronously into a jit.matrixset?
>> But then it would probably exceed RAM because it will be
>> completely uncompressed, right? So in that case I would need more
>> than 2GB RAM. Probably more than 4GB. Don’t know if that is
>> possible to adress anyway?
>>
>> Is there a certain reason why loadram blocks jitter? unloadram
>> works asynchronously, bang by bang. loadram doesn’t:-(
>>
>> I don’t know how to solve this:-(
>> Any other suggestions, ideas?
>>
>> thanks
>> secco
>>
>>
>
> v a d e //
>
> http://www.vade.info
> abstrakt.vade.info
>
>
>

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


September 7, 2007 | 7:54 pm

god, sorry. let me try explaining that one more time. Im a bit out of
it, Apologies for list spam.

jit.qt.movie @preroll 1 @autostart 0.

load the movie, start it and immediately stop it. it becomes cued and
ready to play without a pause (thus, uh, prerolled)

just send ‘start’ when you want it to play.

Just check that patch out :)

On Sep 7, 2007, at 3:01 PM, vade wrote:

> rather, the HD playback for jitter *thread*. So check that out.
> On Sep 7, 2007, at 2:46 PM, vade wrote:
>
>> Har, I just send in a patch in the HD playback for jitter which is
>> my solution to loading 19 DVCPro HD movies,
>>
>> I use preroll 1, load them, and IMMEDIATELY stop them, :)
>>
>> so the next time I load them, the initial few frames is in ram for
>> Jitter. This ought to work for 50 movies.
>>
>> Feel free to use the patch.
>>
>> On Sep 7, 2007, at 2:22 PM, secco wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Thanks Vade, thanks Justin,
>>>
>>> unfortunately all that doesn’t help me at all. I checked all that
>>> out before (except moviebank and poly).
>>> The main problem is that loadram doesn’t seem to be asynchronous,
>>> right? I read somewhere in the forum that it shoud be since
>>> jitter 1.5. But it doesn’t look so (I’m on 1.63 XP).
>>>
>>> I can’t preload multiple movies because I will have over 50 of
>>> them and one takes over 1GB on the Harddisk (Animation Codec 75
>>> perc).
>>> I can’t compress them more because I need the alphachannel so I
>>> can’t use better compressors like H264 or something like that. Or
>>> does anybody know a good codec which supports alpha?
>>> Maybe I could load the movie asynchronously into a jit.matrixset?
>>> But then it would probably exceed RAM because it will be
>>> completely uncompressed, right? So in that case I would need more
>>> than 2GB RAM. Probably more than 4GB. Don’t know if that is
>>> possible to adress anyway?
>>>
>>> Is there a certain reason why loadram blocks jitter? unloadram
>>> works asynchronously, bang by bang. loadram doesn’t:-(
>>>
>>> I don’t know how to solve this:-(
>>> Any other suggestions, ideas?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> secco
>>>
>>>
>>
>> v a d e //
>>
>> http://www.vade.info
>> abstrakt.vade.info
>>
>>
>>
>
> v a d e //
>
> http://www.vade.info
> abstrakt.vade.info
>
>
>

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


September 9, 2007 | 12:19 am

I can’t preload multiple movies because I will have over 50 of
>> them and one takes over 1GB on the Harddisk (Animation Codec 75
>> perc).
>> I can’t compress them more because I need the alphachannel so I

How about using two movies instead of one? Matte and fill. One for picture, the other for alpha channel? Might be able to compress the alpha movie much more in photo-jpeg? just black and white. could use 50% or less….Then recombine using jit.pack?

might be a few sync issues,but worth a go. not sure about h264 though. intra-frame codec not good for compositing.

>> does anybody know a good codec which supports alpha?
>> Maybe I could load the movie asynchronously into a jit.matrixset?
>> But then it would probably exceed RAM because it will be
>> completely uncompressed, right? So in that case I would need more
>> than 2GB RAM. Probably more than 4GB. Don’t know if that is
>> possible to adress anyway?

I’ve loaded a 5gb movie into ram, but it appears to take up more like 10 gb of ram. (on Mac OSX)

In matrixset, max limit appears to be 2gb, due to 32-bit memory addressing…..


September 9, 2007 | 6:41 am

?

?

really?

Somehow, .. I dont …., really?

On Sep 8, 2007, at 8:19 PM, marcus lyall wrote:

> I’ve loaded a 5gb movie into ram, but it appears to take up more
> like 10 gb of ram. (on Mac OSX)

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


September 10, 2007 | 9:10 pm

if the movie filesze is 5 gb, it will take more RAM than its filesize, since it’s compressed. As I recall, loadram message decompressed the movie?

Peter


September 11, 2007 | 1:17 am

Well, I found out that that isnt the case, that it doesnt decompress,
but, I meant that Max is addressing more than 2 gigs of ram.

On Sep 10, 2007, at 5:10 PM, pnyboer wrote:

> if the movie filesze is 5 gb, it will take more RAM than its
> filesize, since it’s compressed. As I recall, loadram message
> decompressed the movie?

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


September 11, 2007 | 8:51 am

In theory, loadram loads the compressed media into memory. Since
there’s no low-level control of what loadram really does, though,
it’s impossible to say for certain that there’s _no_ decompression
involved.

jb

Am 10.09.2007 um 23:10 schrieb pnyboer:

> if the movie filesze is 5 gb, it will take more RAM than its
> filesize, since it’s compressed. As I recall, loadram message
> decompressed the movie?


September 11, 2007 | 9:20 am

It was an uncompressed movie, a 4 min music video captured from a Blackmagic card.

We were trying to see how many clips could be stored in ram, or whether one big one would do the job.

And it appeared to load the 5gb whole movie in, but took up 10gb or so of space, according to activity monitor.


September 11, 2007 | 1:12 pm

Can max loadram a movie that large? Isnt there a memory addressing
limit of 2 GB?

On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:20 AM, marcus lyall wrote:

>
> It was an uncompressed movie, a 4 min music video captured from a
> Blackmagic card.
>
> We were trying to see how many clips could be stored in ram, or
> whether one big one would do the job.
>
> And it appeared to load the 5gb whole movie in, but took up 10gb
> or so of space, according to activity monitor.
>
>
>
>

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


September 11, 2007 | 4:05 pm

Max can’t… JKC said so recently.
Go figure… must be a low-level Quicktime thing.

On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:12 PM, vade wrote:

> Can max loadram a movie that large? Isnt there a memory addressing
> limit of 2 GB?
>
> On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:20 AM, marcus lyall wrote:
>
>>
>> It was an uncompressed movie, a 4 min music video captured from a
>> Blackmagic card.
>>
>> We were trying to see how many clips could be stored in ram, or
>> whether one big one would do the job.
>>
>> And it appeared to load the 5gb whole movie in, but took up 10gb
>> or so of space, according to activity monitor.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> v a d e //
>
> http://www.vade.info
> abstrakt.vade.info
>
>
>


September 11, 2007 | 8:52 pm

Ok, that whole thing was a long winded way of say, *you did not load
a 5GB movie into ram*.

Unless Ive fundamentally misunderstood something, you are limited to
2GB for all of Max/Jitter, so this must be a mistake.

Right?

:)

On Sep 11, 2007, at 12:05 PM, evan.raskob [lists] wrote:

> Max can’t… JKC said so recently.
> Go figure… must be a low-level Quicktime thing.
>
>
> On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:12 PM, vade wrote:
>
>> Can max loadram a movie that large? Isnt there a memory addressing
>> limit of 2 GB?
>>
>> On Sep 11, 2007, at 5:20 AM, marcus lyall wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> It was an uncompressed movie, a 4 min music video captured from a
>>> Blackmagic card.
>>>
>>> We were trying to see how many clips could be stored in ram, or
>>> whether one big one would do the job.
>>>
>>> And it appeared to load the 5gb whole movie in, but took up 10gb
>>> or so of space, according to activity monitor.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> v a d e //
>>
>> http://www.vade.info
>> abstrakt.vade.info
>>
>>
>>
>

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


September 26, 2007 | 11:19 pm

same movie. 5gb uncompressed pal qt from blackmagic.
used loadram. it loaded the whole thing.

activity monitor said max was using 16.77 gb RAM and 3.5 gb virtual memory.

it was running fine. but still jerky….

then I moved the jit.window from one screen to another and got a catastrophic crash that froze the whole machine.

8core. 16gb ram installed.

what can i say?


September 26, 2007 | 11:24 pm

Wow. Maybe this is being addressed at the QT level. Thats awesome. I
did not expect that at all. Badass!
On Sep 26, 2007, at 7:19 PM, marcus lyall wrote:

>
> same movie. 5gb uncompressed pal qt from blackmagic.
> used loadram. it loaded the whole thing.
>
> activity monitor said max was using 16.77 gb RAM and 3.5 gb virtual
> memory.
>
> it was running fine. but still jerky….
>
> then I moved the jit.window from one screen to another and got a
> catastrophic crash that froze the whole machine.
>
> 8core. 16gb ram installed.
>
> what can i say?
>
>

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info


February 4, 2010 | 4:31 am

yeah i have been loading up animation codec 4 plane movs that are anywhere from 2 to 6 gigs and they load and play in entirety but they dont play as smooth as when I play them in the quicktime player. using really stripped down single movie object and using gl rendering and still get the occasional hiccup when Im watching something like scrolling text mask that is easy to see a glitch with.

i7 based machine with 6 gb of ram and two nvidia 9 series cards


Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)