Long time video recording

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:41am

Long time video recording

Hi,
I am new to jitter, but have experience in MaxMSP for a long time.
I want to shoot a movie over 10 hours with the camera position unchanged. After the shoot I want to compress the movie to a lenght for ca. 5 min.

What is the best advice
- using a Firewire camera and which model
- shoot the whole period and compress it after
- or shoot less pictures

I feel jitter is right approach to do that.
I appreciate any advice.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:59am

Hi,

By compressing, you mean speeding up the movie so 10 hours become 5 minutes? I would go for intervals, but it all depends on what kind of effect you’re after.

y

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:02pm

@ Eav
yes, speeding up 10 hours to 5 minutes.
Recently I saw an another approach: using a digital camera with a TimeLapse function, means the camera takes a picture every 10 secs automatically…I will study further.

sepp

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:11pm

Hi Sepp,

Yeah, time lapse is what i meant with intervals. Recording 10 hours of non-stop video makes for a big chunk of data… Curious to see what you’re going to come up with.

best

yves

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:09am

maybe you could use this patch

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:18am

Go for timelapse. Saves you many many gigabytes of superfluous video and you can use the photo cam’s much higher image resolution. Will look much better than video footage.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:09pm

i did timelapse recording with my canon camera.
they ship a program called “remote capture” with the cameras.
with this program, you can do shots in free choosable intervals and store it on your computer.

i have read, that nikon cameras have this functionality build in.

as dtr says: the quality is much better than video.
best,
l.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:50pm

@ giorgio
Your maxpatch worked well with the camera of my MacBookPo, but the Video-Camera (Sony HRV-A1E), I had available, is not supported in jitter, I see nothing in the getinputlistdevice in the jit.qt.grab – object (but the camera is supported in Quicktime and FCP).

@ lee wnag
TimeLapse with SLR – cameras: I am aware of progs for remote-control for Nikons and Canons..
Also tethereing with Adobes lightroom would be an approach.

Also there are hardware remote timers (HAMA, Hahnel etc) for cameras, but every brand do need a different one, because of the their proprietary connectors.

I ended up (because lack of time and no possibility to rent a SLR Camera with the right remote) shooting with the video-camera. Now I have to deal with a lot of GBs :-)

Anyway, thanks for your advices !
sepp

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.