Forums > MaxMSP

longer startup time & Max related 'recovered files'

April 28, 2008 | 4:24 am

Hi, all.
I know that OSX often dumps a folder of ‘recovered files’ in the trash when restarting the computer and that it’s nothing to be worried about. Nevertheless, my Macbook Pro seems to take considerably longer to restart since the Max 5 upgrade, and there are always Max related files in this ‘recovered files’ folder now.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Not a big deal. Just wanted to bring it to your attention.
Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks!

May 4, 2008 | 3:49 pm

I can confirm this on my machine, was going to post about it sooner or later.

Every time I restart my Mac, I have recovered files in my trash from Max5. Also, if I previously ran a standalone made with Max5, I will get another folder in the trash with all of the objects from that standalone, and an ooboo file.

This doesn’t happen with Max 4.6.x

System:
Macbook Pro Core2Duo 2.15GHz, 2 GB RAM, OSX 10.5.2

Zachary

May 4, 2008 | 4:54 pm

Ah, yes.
Thanks for the response. I was beginning to think that everyone thought I was being a baby or something! :)
I forgot to post my specs.
Pretty much the same as yours.
Macbook Pro Core2Duo 2.16ghz 10.5.2
Max 5.0.1
Also, it doesn’t happen when I use 4.6 either.

May 4, 2008 | 5:55 pm

Leaving the files in the temp folder (which the Mac OS mysteriously decides can’t just be deleted but need to be moved to the "Recovered Files" folder in the trash) is a problem with Max 5 standalones and collectives on the Mac. I would like to know what in the phrase "temp folder" Apple doesn’t understand.

I won’t give you the long story about the completely stupid and annoying Leopard problem that caused us to disable the code that deletes these files in the first place. Thank you for reminding me that we need to rewrite the temp file deleting code to work around the multiple levels of Mac OS lameness at work here.

David Z.

May 4, 2008 | 6:24 pm

Thank you for a wonderful, forward-thinking, new version of Max. Sorry to hear about the Leopard lameness.

I personally don’t care if this ever gets fixed, you guys are doing so many other more important things ;)

best,
Zachary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)