Looking for 'if' object

May 8, 2009 at 12:38am

Looking for 'if' object

Hi

The ‘if’ is missing from my externals library, I have searched Max Objects which indicates it should be available to me as an external and is not in my Max 5 external folder. I have done a search in my other Max folders and it is not there either. Can anobody advise where I can download this object?

Many thanks Myla

May 8, 2009 at 10:38am

That’s weird : I got no problem using [if] (the if maxhelp works nice, etc.), but I can’t find the if external either (on a windows 5.0.7 version).I just noticed that I can’t find expr.mxe as well.
And those ones are not present in max-objectmappings.txt…
Sure we miss something here…
How does that work?

Ch.

May 8, 2009 at 12:56pm

No need to ‘download’ it. [if] is an internal object, it’s built into the Max application.

May 8, 2009 at 1:33pm

Thanks for the pointer – i found it in the help folder however Max only recognises it as an objec if I actaully type the beginning of the statement eg if $i1 then and then it recognises the object. If I just type if on its own it cannot find the object. My file preferences path is correct.

I seems a bit strange.

Thanks

Myla

May 8, 2009 at 3:17pm

Thats how it is supposed to be, it requires the correct arguments to work or it won’t instantiate properly, which makes sense as it wouldn’t do anything if the arguments were invalid anyway. However it could be a bit confusing if you’re new to max. You can still alt+click on it to get the help file, if you need clues.

lh

May 8, 2009 at 3:56pm

[zl] with wrong or no arguments is also [zl], so
why not [if]?

but most people also dont know that you can
write [1 2 3] in order to get a [list] object.

dont seek the logic behind max, build it in max.

May 9, 2009 at 7:36am
Myla wrote on Fri, 08 May 2009 15:33
If I just type if on its own it cannot find the object.

It works for me, if I only type “if”, the error message is:
if: missing then
It is instantiating, and I can even open the help with alt-click…

If it wouldn’t find it the error would be “no such object”

Stefan

May 9, 2009 at 10:42am

Thank you for all the replies .. yes I am quite new to max so I am continuously discovering.. and as you say interestingly enough with the [zl] object Max locates it without having to type any further arguments. To avoid any confusion the message in max window when I just type [if] is no such object.

At least I now know this behaviour.

Best Myla

May 9, 2009 at 10:00pm
Myla wrote on Fri, 08 May 2009 15:33
i found it in the help folder however Max only recognises it as an objec if I actaully type the beginning of the statement eg if $i1 then and then it recognises the object. If I just type if on its own it cannot find the object. My file preferences path is correct.

What you found in the help folder is if.help/if.maxhelp. That’s the help file, not the .mxo.

As I wrote previously, there is no .mxo. [if] is built into the Max kernel.

The fact that if behaves differently from zl when no arguments are given is because [if] and [zl] are two different objects. Each object does its own error handling. Any similarity in the error handling of two different objects is, by and large, coincidental. In particular, zl always has two inlets whereas if has to parse its argument list to determine how many inlets to sprout. There is a compelling reason for the two objects to behave differently in this regard.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.