Forums > MaxMSP

looking for someone to help me realize a project with music and plant response

September 10, 2011 | 8:37 pm

Hello,
I am a composer beginning work on a project with music and plant responses. and was thinking of trying to use Max and sensors. I have very small knowledge of Max and am looking for someone who can do the technical part of the project, or guide me through it. Someone I talked to (who is too busy to work with me now) suggested that Arduino might be a good way to communicate between the sensors and Max.

I’m going to do this at a residency and am leaving in a few days, and my most immediate question is, what equipment should I order so it can meet me there?

I am thinking about environmental sensors, like for light, temperature, moisture (air or soil), and wind; a motion sensor that could make the whole thing activate when someone or something comes near; and a sensor or sensors that could sense the plant’s activity or response, for example, changes in electrical resistance on a leaf, or measuring sap flow.

This is an unexpected opportunity, and I have some, but not a lot, of money for it right now.

Any help or advice would be great, and if you might be interested in assisting me technically, please let me know.

September 10, 2011 | 10:08 pm

Hi
Arduino to Max certainly has a relatively shallow learning curve and, due to Arduino’s popularity, a large and helpful/resourceful community.

‘Off-the-shelf’ sensors, such as light, temperature, flexion/bend are in my opinion, more or less ‘plug and play’, whereas moisture/humidity, galvanic response etc might require more tweaking – my terminology is vague here as I clearly have no experience of the latter sensor types.

This is an excellent place to start:

http://www.sensorwiki.org/doku.php/sensors/introduction

and I stumbled on this video demonstrating exactly what you’re describing – in Max at least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWPWK50Cko

Brendan

September 10, 2011 | 11:41 pm

Seems there is no way to send private messages or get member’s email address any more or I am just being really dense?…

I would love to talk to you about your project via email. My address is cloverstreet at the gmail.com
Christopher Overstreet

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)