Forums > Jitter

Looping a 30 Minute HD Quicktime File

June 30, 2009 | 9:27 pm

Hello Max List:

I need to find a way to loop a 1080i quicktime file, with sound, in a gallery installation. It is pretty straight forward playback, no interactivity or effects. The file is about 50 GB.

The artists are hoping to use a mac mini and quicktime, they haven’t provided much more insight to it than that.

I’m wondering if anyone on the list has attempted to use Jitter as an HD playback method in a gallery setting, what kind of hardware (computer) used, and what codecs were used in the installation. Other general tips, tricks and suggestions that would go along with something like this are welcome. Any non-max software solutions are welcome too.

Thanks for your help,

Patrick

June 30, 2009 | 11:30 pm

If you just want to play it back straight and loop it, you can do that with QuickTime.

Open the movie in QT, set the movie to loop mode (Command – L) and open the movie properties window (Command – J). In that window, go to Presentation tab, and check "Automatically play movie when opened" and " Enter Fullscreen mode when opened". Save your movie, put it the dock and select "Open at Login".

Now, each time you’ll boot the computer, the movie will open, go fullscreen and loop until quit or reboot.

I’d choose Apple ProRes 422 as codec but you can do your own tests. And yes, you can do this with Jitter if you want but it’s a little bit overkill. Also, I’m not sure the older Mac Minis will work with Full HD because of the cheapo graphics processor but the new one is much better at handling video.

July 1, 2009 | 2:38 am

Thanks Meriol – I realized that quicktime will do this by itself rather easily these days right after I posted that. The trick will be finding a sufficient codec that has an acceptable level of compression.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)