Lost Windows (Beginner Question)

May 7, 2013 at 5:08pm

Lost Windows (Beginner Question)

Hey all,

I recently downloaded a patch from the cycling74.com website (I think. I tried to find it again and I couldn’t, but the file is called 345369071-SynthetiserUpdateEn.maxpat), and it’s a really great synthesizer I’ve been playing around with. It opens in 4 seperate MAX/MSP windows that all work together. The volume is in one window on the left, midi keyboard in another on the bottom, and some other synth controls in two other windows.

Recently I changed some of it’s settings, and when I was finished I was closing these windows individually. I got to the last one, and when I closed it, it asked if I’d like to save my changes. Naturally I said yes. The problem is that now when I open the file again, I only get the one window, the last one I closed which prompted me to save. The patch still works perfectly fine, so the other windows must still exist somewhere- I just can’t see or access them.

Is there some way I can restore these windows, or see the contents of these windows? I tried exiting presentation mode and exploring the connections of the one window I do have, but I couldn’t dig up the other parts of the patch.

Thanks!

May 7, 2013 at 5:51pm

Given that everything’s working, it sounds like you have one top-level patcher with three subpatchers, each with its own window. When you closed the three subpatchers then saved the main patch, you also save that state (main patcher window open, subpatcher windows closed).

Look for boxes named something like [p volume], [p keyboard] etc., and double-click on them to open. I have no idea what the patchers are actually named, I’m just guessing likely monikers. You’ll need to use a little imagination. You may also need to unlock the main patcher (as well as leaving presentation mode) to see the boxes for the subpatchers. If that’s the case, you’ll need to hold down the Command Key (Ctrl Key on Windows) while double-clicking in an unlocked patcher.

May 7, 2013 at 7:51pm

Thanks Peter, that did the trick! And now I know about subpatches!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.