Forums > Max For Live

M4L: crossfader?

October 6, 2013 | 1:07 pm

sorry, beginner’s question:
in Max4L, is it possible to have a crossfader device, or is this impossible (because of Live’s architecture: "audio effect" can only affect one channel, which’s input is set in Live’s In/Out section).

October 6, 2013 | 1:42 pm

Just for reference, what’s wrong with the one included in the mixer section in Live? I’ve always found that to be very adequate.

October 6, 2013 | 11:02 pm

of course Live’s xFade is totally ok.
What I want exactly is frequency-dependent crossfade: signal is split into two or three frequency bands, which can be xFaded independently.

October 7, 2013 | 1:56 am

then you’ll need to have two max for live devices; one on one of the channels, and a little "sattelite" device on the other channel, sort of a master/slave type of thing.

October 7, 2013 | 3:54 pm

thanks! interesting idea.

October 7, 2013 | 4:21 pm

I think it’s the only way of doing it…

October 8, 2013 | 1:07 am

or you can put two Live’s "EQ3" in two channels and build a device that adjusts their values using live.remote

October 8, 2013 | 4:00 am

Not sure what you mean with a crossfader device. ?? Can you be more specific with what your doing and actually want to achieve ?

Just make an empty audio rack (add an EQ 8 , right click create group), set up the chain crossfade region by mapping to a macro, do this on the other track again. Set up crossfades on both racks. Map the same midi knob to both macros and this will create a smooth crossfade. This can be done multiple times. So you can set up as many crossfades as you’d like in a set.
This can be used with audio files dragged in OR with instrument tracks.
I’ve uploaded a file to demonstrate :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)