Forums > Max For Live

M4L editor slow to open

January 31, 2014 | 12:18 pm

I am just beginning to explore M4L and I have noticed that some of my devices are painfully slow to edit. When I click the edit button of a loaded device, the patch opens but it pinwheels for well over a minute when I attempt to toggle from presentation view to edit view. Is there something I can do to fix this?

January 31, 2014 | 5:26 pm

Install more RAM….

Cheers
D

January 31, 2014 | 5:33 pm

I am using the 32bit version of both Max and Live so I’m not sure anything beyond 4GB is even relevant. Regardless.. I have 16GB of RAM in my system. There is no room for more. :/

Are there any significant differences between patching in Max and patching in M4L? Do I need to be careful of certain things in M4L to prevent this kind of lag?

February 1, 2014 | 9:53 am

In my experience the slowness of M4L editing mainly depends on the number of API controls (eg. live.remote~) that are used in the patch. Apparently maintaining the connections in the editor is rather complex, especially in preview mode where 2 copies of the device must be handled.

http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/vignettes/core/live_preview.html

February 1, 2014 | 6:38 pm

Hmmm.. well, thing is, there aren’t any API controls except for a single live.thisdevice to bang some initial settings. I think I may have had too many live.grid objects in the patch. Now there is just a single live.grid object but it still pinwheels for several seconds when I initially go from presentation to edit view. Other patches don’t do that, so it’s not a hardware issue. I think I just need to get familiar with the idiosyncrasies of M4L. In general, it definitely seems a bit clunky and buggy compared to regular old Max.

Either way, thanks for the feedback.

February 2, 2014 | 3:43 am

I think it happens to me even when there are no API calls in the patch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)