M4L, launchpad, and colorblind guys

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:28pm

M4L, launchpad, and colorblind guys

Hi.
I’m currently learning some basic Live API stuff, especially about clips and LEDs color.
I’m making stupid patches to learn how Live and the Launchpad communicates, how to send color infos to the LP, how to change clip color…
One of the reason is that I’m colorblind. I didn’t buy the Launchpad for it’s clip launch ability, but I’m getting interested in this part of the machine.
I can only comfortably tells make distinction on the LP colors between yellow, red (low, medium, and also full red but this one tends to be pretty near the low green for me) and the low green.
So that’s enough colors I can deal with.
The question is how would be the good way to start doing a “session mode colorblind mapping” M4L patch?
What should I observe? Clip status, count visible tracks and scene and things like that?

Thanks for your help.
Jul

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:22am

Have you taken a look at the programmers guide to the launchpad?
http://www.novationmusic.com/support/startdownloadfile=243.zip?source=www.novationmusic.com/support/launchpad/&did=243&name=Launchpad%20Programmers%20Reference%20Guide_Launchpad%20programmers%20reference.pdf.zip
you could try using blinking leds instead of color codes. my guess would be to try and mess around with that. The reference guide should be a good start for giving you all the options that are available to you with the Launchpad.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:12am

Yes, for sure I did.
But my problem is more about determine what to observe in Live.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:09pm

No idea sweet people?

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:41pm

Check out the api examples in the max for live examples folder.

Jan 20, 2010 at 10:51pm

Lots of bugs. There’s comments about those problems in the patch.
Common girls and boys, together we can achieve a nice working patch!

[code]

-- Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. --

[/code]

Jul

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:29am
Jan 31, 2010 at 10:58pm

Jul, how do I load your patch? I would like to have more control over the LEDs on my launchpad and I figured I could do this by reverse engineering your patch. I saved it as an .amxd but it won’t load in live.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:33pm

Hi Ingtzi.
Here’s another version which tries to match changes from the Live interface (clicking a clip with the mouse) also, but it doesn’t work correctly, and you should delete this part of the patch; one of the main problem is that it see the changes when you click a clip… but it also see the changes from the Launchpad, and if you click a pad the patch would do the same thing twice. I have tried to only operate with the observers whose poiting to the Live matrix interface (i.e without the observers looking to the LP) in another version, but I canno’t remember about something good. (I have a version where this way of observing is simplified, but I’ve just try it and the patch doesn’t work… it’s mysterious!)
I didn’t work on this patch for more than a week an I have a lot of different versions and I’m quite lost. And the last days I have worked on, I had just forget on this Live-to-launchpad part to concentrate on a way to recall the LEDs state when switching between modes; I’ve tried to memorize them in a matrixctrl with no success. Maybe coll coud do something, but…
It’s crappy. I’ve spend many many hours on this patch, but I’m new to max and it’s pain in my ass.
I’ll get back to it later I think.
Anyway…

So just copy this code and once max is launched, click on “new from clipboard”. This will create the patch. Copy/paste it in a M4L device (this version is a midi device on my computer, don’t know if you can copy it in a audio device). Save…
When you launch the device, select Launchpad and Button_Matrix from the umenus, switch to a different mode on the LP and come back to the session mode (I don’t why, but otherwise it won’t work).
I’ve set a default green color but you can change it within the dedicated number box.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Jul

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.