M4L looper – overdub in original pitch/speed while playback speed is different

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:36pm

M4L looper – overdub in original pitch/speed while playback speed is different

Hello,

I tried to build a looper similar to stompboxes like line6 dl4.
I want to record, playback at double speed and overdub. The overdubbed material should keep speed/pith until I switch back to normal speed.
I used groove for playback. Changing the speed works fine but the overdubbed material is directly played back in the changed speed.
Any idea how I can realize this?

Thanks,
Karsten

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:34am

could I do this with stutter~ ?

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:24pm

nobody?

I built a looper with poke~ that works good. but there is a problem with reverse (-0.5) and double speed (2). for the double speed problem I found a workaround recording the first loop at half speed.

here is the patch:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Apr 28, 2010 at 3:45am

you should download ipoke~ and use it in overdub mode http://pierrealexandretremblay.com/no-tv//MaxMSP/

i am also working an external that does similar varispeed recording, but using 4 point interpolation instead of linear

it has a sound on sound knob that allows you to determine the rate at which old sounds decay in the loop -

also uses nonlinear transfer function in the buffer write so that it achieves ‘tape saturation’ instead digital clipping, and can handle inputs greater than 1, less than -1

i use it now live, but hopefully i’ll be able to post it soon?

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:00am

I’ll as soon as possible. Hope it will resolve the reverse and double speed problem. Do you have any idea about these problems? Is this behaviour normal? Should I somehow filter or manipulate the signl (right outlet of groove) that I’m using to provide the playback/recording position index?
Thanks!

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:58am

no – the ipoke~ object allows for varispeed recording – that is, if you record a C3 at ‘normal’ speed, and then double the speed – it will sound as a C4

then, if you record another c3, you will have a octave [c3 and c4} at double speed – if set back to normal speed, you will have a c2 and c3 —

if you download the ipoke object and play with the example, i think you will find it very intuitive! just adjust the buffer size and phasor~ to the loop length you need

+++++++
tristan

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:40pm

Sorry to necro this thread but did you ever finish/share that external tristan? (are there no PMs on this forum? I looked but couldn’t find a way to send a direct message).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.