m4l route audio in from another channel

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:43pm

m4l route audio in from another channel

i have a pretty basic question but, searching online, i haven’t found a solution.

i’m trying to do something fairly simple–build a device on one channel that will accept two (stereo) signals, one from the home channel and another from a “modulator” channel. then the signals can be cross-synthesized, for example.

live objects can do all kinds of multi-channel audio routing–e.g. sidechaining, vocoding–but, i can’t find a way for a max4live device to receive audio from a channel other than the one that the device lives on. is there a solution for this? it seems like pretty basic functionality, hopefully i’m missing something simple.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:26am

You are looking for a sidechain input, but M4L doesn´t have that.

A M4L audio device can only have 2 channels.

You need to do something like this in order to modulate 2 sources from different tracks with each other.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aug 27, 2011 at 12:59pm

or use two dedicated devices with plugsend~ / plugreceive~ and get along with the latency

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:01pm

Is it true that a M4L device can only have 2 channels? that’s so disappointing. I’m trying to do more or less the same as OP and haven’t even been able to get it to work with plugsend~ or other variations. I can’t believe such a simple routing operation isn’t possible here.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.