Forums > Max For Live

M4L Tutorial – Saving multiple presets with a Live Set

April 24, 2010 | 2:22 pm

Hi All,

I want to share a M4L tutorial I wrote about how you can save multiple presets of data like the contents of a multislider with a Live Set.

Its aimed at newcomers and I hope it makes sense to them but I also hope its not too boring for Max veterans who seek the same information. Its my first M4L tutorial so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Articles/m4l-tutorial-saving-multiple-presets-with-a-live-set

pid
April 24, 2010 | 4:08 pm

hi hoffman.

this is a really clear, really well laid out and well written tutorial. much better and more succinct than i could ever explain it! congratulations. cycling74 should put this one in their manual for all the noobs or give you a job.

just a thought – if it really is aimed at beginners, perhaps a line or two on presentation mode would not go amiss?

best.

April 24, 2010 | 4:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback. You’re right. Since I explained other things in detail, I shouldn’t have skimmed over the presentation bit.
This has now been updated.
It wasn’t my intention to write this much, but somehow couldn’t bring myself to write something only a handful of people would understand. I hope this is accessible for newcomers.

Thanks for the comments.

- Bjorn

April 26, 2010 | 9:29 pm

have you found any inconsistencies with how data is operated on how data is stored with the pattr or pattrstorage when used within m4l? i spend a considerable amount of time over the weekend trying to get the persistence of a track id, device id and paramter id in a live set stored and retrieved.

some examples of craziness
1. a pattr object will update the selected index of a umenu if you rebuild it and it was mapped via the bindto attribute but not if it was using connections.
2. a pattr would sometimes restore data as float when a live set is restored vs. a int
3. a pattr would not have it’s data restored in a timely fashion for patch initialization when sent a bang from a loadbang unless it came after a deferlow.
4. funny enough, the patch always worked consistently as designed when running standalone in max (the presets get populated correctly) but in m4l it never works upon load (if i open it in max from live it actually shows the restored values correctly).

April 27, 2010 | 9:37 am

Some problems may be due to different initialization/load order in M4L vs. Max standalone.
It has been discussed recently here.

http://cycling74.com/forums/topic.php?id=25322

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)