Making a Max MSP Object in C – Random Melody Generator

May 13, 2011 at 12:37pm

Making a Max MSP Object in C – Random Melody Generator

Hi there!

Im trying to Create a Object in Max MSP using C that Randomly generates a Melody, similar to Mozart’s “dice music”. For example, when a random number is selected from an array, it corresponds to a note number for example 61. This then outputs the note number and plays back. This should happen 16 times, in order to create a random melody every time its activated.

I’ve created an array which contains a selection of note numbers, but i’ m very stuck on how to make it all fit together.

Any help would be very welcomed, and I hope this makes sense! Reply if your willing to help! Thank you very much

Arnie

May 13, 2011 at 1:13pm

Hi Arnie.

I have some remarks for you, if you don’t mind

- questions about object development in C fit better in the “Dev” forum – you have much more chances to get an answer there

- why do you want to develop this in C? While I didn’t grasp all the details of your idea, it seems something very easy to do with Max. but of course you might have very good reasons for this – including the joy of experimenting!

- I don’t understand where you’re stuck – is it a problem with the algorithm, the C language, the integration with Max, …? it’s hard to give you specific advice with so little info.

- eighteenth century “dice music” was about whole measures, rather than single notes… but if you look for a more modern approach to (partly) aleatoric music composition there’s a lot more stuff than this around, and some people on this list (me not included) are real experts in the field!

good luck, in any case!
aa

May 13, 2011 at 1:22pm

Cheers AA, i’l post it in dev now.

I want to develop this in C, as i have already made something like it in max and want to expand my knowledge in that field.

Im stuck, because i don’t know enough about it, and was wondering if someone give an example for me to work from.

Yeah, the dice music wasn’t an amazing example, but i suppose it is the same in essence, using tone/semitone randomness

May 13, 2011 at 1:25pm

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.