making a patch for windows in os x- jit.qt/dx.grab
hey, I’m in the process of making a patch on a max that will ultimately be used on a windows computer. I’m having a lot of problems though. By biggest noticeable problems at the moment are:
1) jit.qt.grab – been through manual / forum threads; if I understand right, the jit.qt.grab that I’ve made on os x should be a jit.dx.grab for the windows version, however if I change it to a [jit.dx.grab] on os x, it doesn’t recognise it. Unfortunately I can’t change it in windows, as I’m only running runtime in XP.
2) another, audio problem is that [sfplay] simply isn’t recognise my .wav files.
Any ideas how I can solve these?
thaks very much
You can use jit.qt.grab on Windows but you need extra software such as WinVDIG.
What you can do, however, is create an abstraction on your Mac called "jit.dx.grab" which will encapsulate a jit.qt.object. This is just for building the patch and testing. As long as this abstraction is in the search path, it should look like you have a jit.dx.grab object on your Mac. When you move your patch to Windows, Max will load the proper jit.dx.grab object instead of your fake one.
sfplay~ has problems reading files where the file extension and file type don’t match. For instance if you rename an something.aif to something.wav, sfplay~ won’t be able to play it anymore. That might be one reason why you are having problems.
thank you very much for your help… I had no idea the translation from mac to windows would be so tough! I’m not too clued up on abstractions- so it’s back to the manuals for me!
as for the wav’s… for some reason windows decided to take the ‘.wav’ off the end of them… put them back in manually, but still no luck…
The patch is t o be used in an installation… doing to help a friend, but I’m thinking the easiest way is to donate my laptop for a day!
There’s nothing really difficult about it.
Here’s another way: Find the file named "max-objectmappings.txt". It should be in the folder Cycling ’74/init/. Open it in a text editor and add the line:
max objectfile jit.dx.grab jit.qt.grab;
Save and restart Max. Now when you type jit.dx.grab in an object box, it should load correctly. What is happening, in fact, is that by adding the line above, you’re telling Max to treat the object name "jit.dx.grab" as an alias to jit.qt.grab. Of course, you only need to do this on the Mac side of things, as Windows actually has a real jit.dx.grab object.
In my experience, the transfer to from one computer (for development)
(target for the final installation) always requires some final
tweaking of the patch on the
runtime system. Even so for transfer from mac to mac, even more so
for OS X to XP.
For this I use the 30 day demo period. I activate a demo install of
max on the target system the moment I think
the patch is really done, only to find out that I need quite a few
more days on the target system.
If 30 days is too short, you may ask cycling to provide you with a
temporary license for the target system.
Describe the nature of the installation, provide some documentation
if available, and state the expiration date
that you anticipate, and they will be glad to help you.
On 15-nov-2006, at 7:03, register wrote:
> thank you very much for your help… I had no idea the translation
> from mac to windows would be so tough! I’m not too clued up on
> abstractions- so it’s back to the manuals for me!
> as for the wav’s… for some reason windows decided to take the
> ‘.wav’ off the end of them… put them back in manually, but still
> no luck…
> The patch is t o be used in an installation… doing to help a
> friend, but I’m thinking the easiest way is to donate my laptop for
> a day!
> thanks again.