Forums > MaxMSP

Making a poly~ monophonic

August 2, 2011 | 7:30 pm

I know most of the time people ask how to make things polyphonic with poly~ but I want to do the opposite. I am trying to replicate the "Poly/Mono" modes on a synthesizer. In mono mode, the typical behavior is when you press the second note, the first one stops sounding–that part’s easy. What I want to be able to do, though, is if you continue to hold the first note and release the second note, the sound jumps back to the first note. That’s the part I’m having trouble wrapping my brain around.

Any tips, hints, suggestions? Thanks!

August 2, 2011 | 8:18 pm

Borax is your friend. The portamento code is slightly more involved (think trigger…)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 2, 2011 | 8:18 pm

Borax is your friend. The portamento code is slightly more involved (think trigger…)

August 2, 2011 | 8:46 pm

Hey Peter,

Thanks. I had already started going down the borax path, but hadn’t found the combination. I suspect I’m doing something wrong, but when I use your patcher, it doesn’t turn off, and then retrigger the first note when you play and release a second note.

August 2, 2011 | 8:46 pm

Hey Peter,

Thanks. I had already started going down the borax path, but hadn’t found the combination. I suspect I’m doing something wrong, but when I use your patcher, it doesn’t turn off, and then retrigger the first note when you play and release a second note.

August 2, 2011 | 10:47 pm

Okay, here’s my stab at it. It seems awfully kludgy, but it seems to work…

August 2, 2011 | 10:47 pm

Okay, here’s my stab at it. It seems awfully kludgy, but it seems to work…

August 3, 2011 | 11:27 am

I made something but don´t have a possibility to test it on this computer properly.

`

August 3, 2011 | 11:27 am

I made something but don´t have a possibility to test it on this computer properly.

`

August 3, 2011 | 3:00 pm

Oha, it didn´t work. Sorry.

The new one has been tested with keeping about 5 notes in background and it seemed to work.

[Borax] isn´t the key since it doesn´t keep the "last in first out"-order (if you set voice 3 of 7 memorized free next one will be voice three instead of one (or seven, depending how you request it)). But it´s useful for the case a noteoff slips through the procedure as [borax] is quicker and resets the [coll] when no note is held.

August 3, 2011 | 3:00 pm

Oha, it didn´t work. Sorry.

The new one has been tested with keeping about 5 notes in background and it seemed to work.

[Borax] isn´t the key since it doesn´t keep the "last in first out"-order (if you set voice 3 of 7 memorized free next one will be voice three instead of one (or seven, depending how you request it)). But it´s useful for the case a noteoff slips through the procedure as [borax] is quicker and resets the [coll] when no note is held.

August 4, 2011 | 12:31 pm

Would ddg.mono be of any use here? I think it is part of the standard distribution now too!

August 4, 2011 | 12:31 pm

Would ddg.mono be of any use here? I think it is part of the standard distribution now too!

August 4, 2011 | 7:01 pm

set the poly to only one voice – and do the note on note of management outside.
it is quite simple then.

August 4, 2011 | 7:01 pm

set the poly to only one voice – and do the note on note of management outside.
it is quite simple then.

August 4, 2011 | 10:40 pm

ddg.mono is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks freeman999!!! I had no idea that was in the distribution.

August 4, 2011 | 10:40 pm

ddg.mono is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks freeman999!!! I had no idea that was in the distribution.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)