Making a subpatch-library

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:45pm

Making a subpatch-library

I’ve just done “Tutorial 15: Abstractions” and it says:

As long as your abstraction can be found in the Max file path, you can type its name into a new object box and it will be loaded directly into your patch. The abstractions used in this tutorial are in the same folder as the patcher accessing them; a library of abstractions can easily be created by placing them in a folder (or a bunch of folders) inside the “patches” folder of your Max installation, or anywhere else Max looks for files.

Where DO Max look for files?

I would like to make my own library (I’m doing a lot of copy/pasting of subpatchers right now). I’m on Mac OSX (10.6) and would like my library to be somewhere in my home-folder (I don’t like to have documents, songs and patches in the Application-folder). Is it possible?

…and if any one has a word or a guideline on how to structure the patch-library (about subfolders and so on), please share it… Thank you in advance! :)

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:09pm

Where DO Max look for files?

In all folders that are listed in the File Preferences in the Options menu.

I’m on Mac OSX (10.6) and would like my library to be somewhere in my home-folder (I don’t like to have documents, songs and patches in the Application-folder). Is it possible?

Not just possible, to my understanding the best approach: keep it outside the app folder. How to structure the folder is up to your own taste. Typically you should avoid creating duplicates within the search path. My projects folders are always outside the search path to avoid loading equally named sub patches from other projects.

_
johan

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:06pm

@jvkr Agreed, a very good approach. I use a similiar path configuration:

Set in my File preferences for shipped and third-party objects respectively:
/Applications/Max 5/Cycling 74
~/Library/max

Set in the main patch of each project using filepath:
~/Documents/code/max/

/lib

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:14am

Thank you very much! I’ve all started the experimentation. I’ll return for further explanations if needed :-)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.