Forums > MaxMSP

Making better use of the kslider

Max
April 24, 2011 | 12:58 pm

Hi all,
I have a [kslider] in my current patch and at the moment it is linked to makenote then noteout.

This has caused me a few problems.
1) I can’t seem to figure out how to add any gain to the signal as the noteout object doesn’t have an outlet to allow me to do so.

2) the sound quality is poor, as you would expect from a standard built in sound card.

So is there any way in which I can:

A: make the piano sound louder without making everything else in the patch louder? …and…

B: Possibly route the output to a software instrument plug-in in Logic or other DAW for a better sounding piano/ electric keyboard/ synth… you see where i’m going.

Thanks in advance.

Max
April 24, 2011 | 12:58 pm

ohh here’s my patch

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

MIB
April 24, 2011 | 5:22 pm

first of all you should give your makenote object some arguments…
to play "louder" notes with the kslider you simply click on top of the key rather than the bottom. there isn’t much control in this system, but that’s how it works.

pid
April 24, 2011 | 5:27 pm

max, you need to go away and learn about midi, and learn how it has nothing to do with audio. in the mean time, you could simply scale the velocity to taste…

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Max
April 24, 2011 | 5:40 pm

Sorry maybe i wasn’t making myself clear. I know that MIDI is just data and has no relation to sound besides that it can be used to trigger sound.

What I meant was, that the resulting sound (coming from my inbuilt soundcard triggered by the midi data sent from within max) is very weak. Far too weak to be used with a load of .wav files that i am also triggering in my patch, even when I set it to trigger at a velocity value of 127.

Hence the question, how am I able to control a VST plug-in in Logic or another DAW from my max patch? If i can send MIDI data to the control (for example) an EVP88 in Logic Pro i can then surely also control it’s gain values with another controller, hence not only giving me a better quality sounding instrument but also a louder, stronger sound.

I know that clicking higher on the keys produces a higher velocity value but i’m using a midi keyboard not my mouse so i just have to press faster and harder, but like i said, even with an output velocity of 127 the sound that is being triggered is too weak.

April 24, 2011 | 10:44 pm

The "to MaxMSP 1" and "to MaxMSP 2" and "from MaxMSP 1" and "from MaxMSP 2" will route MIDI between applications.

The vst~ object will host VST programs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)